Question about writings on the ROAC USA website

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Question about writings on the ROAC USA website

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

HOCNA accepts the River of Fire soteriology from what I was told.

Does HOTCA/GOC accept his soteriology too?

I don't know if HOTCA has an official position on these writings. I know that the GOC in America has been very favourable towards the teachings of modernist theologian Romanides (who has written some very good stuff against the Roman Catholic Church which he says is essentially a Franko-Roman Religious Organisation (FRRO).). I personally like some of the things he has written, but I do believe that Vladimir Moss has written some very good evaluations of Romanides that show he is plagued with some seriously questionable ideas. So, all that to say, perhaps Kalomiros's writings are also popular with some of the clergy or people in the USA, but I would be inclined to think this is on a basis of personal opinion rather than our synod having any official stance. Of course, there are some very appealing things in the River of Fire, but after hearing both pros and cons on the book, I have concluded that it is essentially heretical and humanistic. I think if someone wants a definite answer to that question, that Fr Maximos Marretta can provide that info.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Fr Maximus has extensive theological training, so I would be inclined to go along with what he says. I know that at the Three Hierarchs seminary they do not use Romanides.

Generally, I would be careful about confusing the voice of contemporary theologians, e.g. Romanides or Moss, with the voice of the Fathers themselves. Clearly there can be different interpretations of the Fathers; ultimately, the only solution is to read the Fathers for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

jgress wrote:

Fr Maximus has extensive theological training, so I would be inclined to go along with what he says. I know that at the Three Hierarchs seminary they do not use Romanides.

Generally, I would be careful about confusing the voice of contemporary theologians, e.g. Romanides or Moss, with the voice of the Fathers themselves. Clearly there can be different interpretations of the Fathers; ultimately, the only solution is to read the Fathers for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

I agree with everything you wrote, even with the bolded text, but I would have been more comfortable with it being stated in a slightly more conditional form, since it could otherwise come across as supporting an approach to understanding the writings of the Holy Fathers in a rather Protestant self-determined, private or subjective interpretation. I know that you are not saying that, but new converts or Protestant seekers unfamiliar with Orthodoxy might draw that idea from the way it was written.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I see your point. You should check your understanding of the Fathers with your spiritual father, or someone who has much experience in Orthodox theology and practice.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, the point behind all study of Scripture, the writings of the Holy Fathers, the lives of the Saints, or the history of the Church is simply to endeavour to arrive at the mind of the Church on some matter, since the Church has been promised by Christ to be guided and protected by the Holy Spirit until the end of time not the individual believer apart from the Church: "I will build my Church and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it." Hence, we must seek to remain sure that we are truly united in our confession of faith to that One Church of Christ. Consulting with our priest, bishop, or monastic igumen is essential to sorting out any questionable issues not easily resolved.