Tea talk

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Tea talk

Post by Maria »

I really enjoy Trader Joes' selection of teas especially:

Organic Pear Ginger White Tea - delicious and very tummy calming good in the morning, afternoon, or evening.

Pomegranite [organic] White Tea - wonderful for an afternoon iced or hot tea

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Tea talk

Post by Barbara »

Maria, some of the Trader Joe's teas, though, are not of the best quality.
The flavors you mention sound especially delicious.
But the TEA leaves themselves may not be top of the line.

[Of course a Republic of Tea ad showed up here -- that line is not fabulous but I guess is all right]

I would recommend the Organic Line available at Whole Foods and other places called
"rishi teas".
These are SUPERB, extra extra extra Gourmet top choice !

If you are ever traveling north to Bay Area, there is a nice place which sells tea on The Embarcadero, as well as
on Shattuck in Berkeley.
It's got a great name : IMPERIAL Tea.
I like that myself. Brings back all the wonderful days of Empire [not the British, but others !]

They also have incredible selection of exotic types as well as healthy standand Chinese teas.
The Chinese know so much more about tea than most foreigners.
Hence, they drink Oolong or Pu-erh after eating even the most heavy, greasy dim sum meals and never gain weight.
Why? Because the tea naturally works to cancel out all that fat.

People trying to get off of the coffee habit do well to break away first drinking Pu-Erh, as it's a strong tasting tea.
HINT, HINT to readers.... !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... n=20130424

In this article by Dr. Mercola, people are warned to avoid any "plastic" or "nylon" triangular tea bags as there are dangerous chemicals which will be released into the tea:

Chances are you’ve never even given the tea bag a second thought. But indeed, some of the newer tea bags are made with a variety of plastics; some are nylon, some are made of viscose rayon, and others are made of thermoplastic, PVC or polypropylene.

Using "paper" tea bags might be even worse as some are treated with epichlorohydrin :

Considered a potential carcinogen by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health2 (NIOSH), epichlorohydrin is also used as a pesticide. Besides making its way into tea bags, it can also be found in coffee filters, water filters, and sausage casings.

Please be sure to read the complete article at http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... n=20130424

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Thank you both very much. This is wonderful information!

-Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I did read the article, plus the first comments.
I like the ones who said that it's time to go off somewhere to a remote country and eat TRUE healthy foods, and live right ; the same person
mentioned about God, so surely they are aware.

I was looking to find out which types of teas use safe tea bags and which companies don't.
There was a partial list given.

Ironically, I had just consumed one tea bag which fit that pyramid description ; I don't know if I had ever tried one.
Eek !

I am VERY GLAD to know about this new peril, though of course there has been much controversy about bleached tea bags for quite some time.
I didn't realize about these other dangers, though.

One company, Zhi Teas, says they searched and searched and came up with a NON-GMO corn silk tea bag which they termed a "Bio-Sachet",
as it's biodegradable.

Just starting to learn about this, thank you for bringing it up, Maria !