Missing Prayers

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
TomS
Protoposter

Missing Prayers

Post by TomS »

Sometimes, because I am a horrible sinner and really, must not truly love the Lord, or I would not do this -- I skip my morning prayers. Cause things just start happening as soon as I get up ............

Anyway, Could you please recommend a prayer book that would have the Hours.

Cause I was thinking that, since it is around 3:00 in the afternoon here, I could do some Hour prayers. I have a small pocket Orthodox Prayer Book. But it does not have the Hours.

Or any other recommendations for what to do for prayers when I skip the morning would be appreciated

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Unabbreviated Horologion or Book of the Hours

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Here you go Tom, The Unabbreviated Horologion or Book of the Hours:
http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/mall ... logion.asp

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

Dear Tom,

I frequently end up skipping my morning prayers. I don't like that I do this, but because of my weakness, that's what happens, and it is a struggle, a real struggle, to improve.

I suppose my question for you would be to ask what your regular morning prayers are. For instance, do you use the prayers in the Jordanville Prayer Book or something like that?

I would say that the important thing is to pray. If you wake up and it's late, do something--anything. Even if it's not in front of the icons, or you're not as prepped for it as you'd like to be. Saint Seraphim of Sarov, I think, had a very simple prayer rule for busy people that I read online. It is easy enough to locate on the internet, you might want to look at that and see if that would work, if even just for the mornings.

As for the hours, I think pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/services.htm has the text of the hours in reader's service format, as well as other things.

Hope this helps.

TomS
Protoposter

Prayer Book

Post by TomS »

I use "A Manual of Eastern Orthodox Prayers" published by St. Vladimiers. It's is pocket sized with a puple cover.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Logos

Re: Missing Prayers

Post by Logos »

TomS wrote:

Sometimes, because I am a horrible sinner and really, must not truly love the Lord, or I would not do this -- I skip my morning prayers. Cause things just start happening as soon as I get up ............

Anyway, Could you please recommend a prayer book that would have the Hours.

Cause I was thinking that, since it is around 3:00 in the afternoon here, I could do some Hour prayers. I have a small pocket Orthodox Prayer Book. But it does not have the Hours.

Or any other recommendations for what to do for prayers when I skip the morning would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom, why not explain the situation to your priest and maybe he can guide as what to do.

My soul is lonely dark and afraid.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

My spiritual Father told me that if I do miss my morning prayers at the very least there is always enough time to at least say the Trisagion once.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Fr. Seraphim often said prayers in the car or truck if he didn't have enough time to be at the place he was suppose to be to say the prayers. Just mentioning it as an option (my wife and I have done this a number of times when we were going to an early divine liturgy that was going to take an hour or more to get to)