Dr. Mercola: Violent Side Effects of Antidepressants

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Dr. Mercola: Violent Side Effects of Antidepressants

Post by Barbara »

I happened upon a blog post just now which confirms my beliefs that all these mental illnesses are SPIRITUAL in nature,
ONLY.
The blog post is a little more tentative but offers evidence based on a Catholic nurse in the psychiatric field's observations.
Would that be out of place to post here ?
Or should it somewhere else - or no one wants to hear this, anyway ?!!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I happened upon a blog post just now which confirms my beliefs that all these mental illnesses are SPIRITUAL in nature,
ONLY.
The blog post is a little more tentative but offers evidence based on a Catholic nurse in the psychiatric field's observations.

Go ahead and post a link to it with a small excerpt.
I have been reading an Orthodox Christian book on this subject.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Barbara wrote:

ONLY.

Please do post it. This is important. Thanks.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

arcmode wrote:

These drugs should not be prescribed to any one for anything ever. They are toxic compounds that create chemical imbalance in the brain and force the user into a lobotomized state and induce delusions and other symptoms of 'mental illness..

I disagree. Non-professionals should not be entitled to an opinion. Your comment sounds a but cultic and dangerous. I once heard about a monk who was forced to get off his psychiatric medications cold turkey when he joined the monastery, and years later he had some kind of break down and left the monastery leaving a trail of clothing.

When used with professional guidance and care, antidepressant medications have (and can help) many people. Besides, it is virtually impossible to avoid toxic things today. Medicine becomes toxic when the situation is abused.

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

Barbara wrote:

ONLY.

I disagree. Your view seems a bit primitive and dangerous. It implies that if a person has a mental illness, they must have done something wrong. This would only serve to reinforce the guilt and illness in the person. We now know that things like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) can be caused by childhood strep throat. We have to take into consideration environmental factors and biology. I watched a documentary on childhood schizophrenia. A little child was different since the time she was an infant. She certainly did nothing wrong or bad to receive this illness. Her brain was wired differently. If ALL mental illness is spiritual in nature, than literally every single person on earth would be mentally ill because we are all spiritually ill.

People are not just a soul, we also have a body. Sometimes the body (not the soul) goes awry. Why is the spiritual plain always blamed? Man is soul AND body combined.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

TedMann wrote:
arcmode wrote:

These drugs should not be prescribed to any one for anything ever. They are toxic compounds that create chemical imbalance in the brain and force the user into a lobotomized state and induce delusions and other symptoms of 'mental illness..

I disagree. Non-professionals should not be entitled to an opinion. Your comment sounds a but cultic and dangerous. I once heard about a monk who was forced to get off his psychiatric medications cold turkey when he joined the monastery, and years later he had some kind of break down and left the monastery leaving a trail of clothing.

When used with professional guidance and care, antidepressant medications have (and can help) many people. Besides, it is virtually impossible to avoid toxic things today. Medicine becomes toxic when the situation is abused.

When all that is available is drugs then there is no help for the struggling soul. This is the state of our generation. But, let's not forget the demon possessed souls that were healed by Christ, the Apostles and many other saints. It's still not impossible now, but most people even those who claim to be Orthodox rely on drugs. This monk needed spiritual healing from Jesus Christ our Saviour and there was nobody with enough faith to help him. THAT is the fact of many situations.

Drugs are man-made and false. True spiritual healing comes from guidance to repentance. But, many people are lost without that guidance. The contemporary mentality of even Orthodox Christians has crippled their ability to be healed by God.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

There are no elders to treat us spiritually, so we need to be practical and realistic. Medication is a practical and realistic alternative. It is true of course that Christ can heal anybody. But in all probability, he is not going to. We do not live in a world were miracles are a daily occurrence. So we need to take practical measures and use our God-given mind and do what is necessary.