Turkey Plans on Opening Agia Sophia As a Mosque

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Turkey Plans on Opening Agia Sophia As a Mosque

Post by Maria »

http://www.aina.org/news/20140430120001.htm

• Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is planning to perform prayers at Istanbul's historic Hagia Sophia, along with the leaders of other Islamic countries, according to daily Radikal.The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) is reportedly considering organizing a special prayer in Istanbul's most illustrious architectural setting ahead of the upcoming presidential elections next August. The move will come amid a wider "reform package" that will contain important steps on several thorny issues, from the opening of the Greek Orthodox Halki Seminary to giving legal status to Alevi cemevis as official places of worship.

The prayer at Hagia Sophia may be organized as part of the events held for the week marking Istanbul's conquest by the Ottomans late May, according to Radikal. The government, however, remains concerned over the possible reactions that such an event could spark.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Re: Turkey Plans on Opening Agia Sophia As a Mosque

Post by Aristokles »

As hard as it is for me to read this news about the temple so respected, still, in my ancestral city, I only see the Turk pulling a ploy to get mosques in Greece.

The temple has been lost for 450+ years. I for one will not empower his ploy by reacting beyond these comments. It's just a building now. Move on.