extra ecclesiam nulla salus!!!

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
El Batman

Re: extra ecclesiam nulla salus!!!

Post by El Batman »

sorry for making pics so big. first time doing this.

hmm seems i can't upload .jpgs files.

just dropping this pictures for posterity.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Lingua Latina lingua difficilis est. The Latin language is difficult. You must say: Extra Ecclesiam (accusative case !)) nulla salus.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

Lingua Latina lingua difficilis est. The Latin language is difficult. You must say: Extra Ecclesiam (accusative case !)) nulla salus.

Thank you, Arch. Nilos. I have edited the title of the thread.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Here is a post from the Orthodox Christian perspective that might help you:

• Hieromonk Enoch
    September 25, 2014 at 8:09am · Edited ·

Baptism is absolutely necessary for salvation (or, per the Canons, the making effectual of an empty form through Chrismation, or Confession, in those specific case; however, in either case, God's Grace is effecting membership in the Church). This is abundantly clear; however, are there cases in which people die without Baptism, but can still enter the Kingdom of God? These are very limited, and they are cases that have generally involved catechumens, martyrs, etc. But it should be remembered that in the following example, it is the Grace of Baptism and membership in the Christ's Body, the Orthodox One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church that is be accomplished by God's Power and the persons repentance and faith in Christ according to the Truth.
    Baptism is normally by water; then we have Baptism by blood, then, there is the somewhat misunderstood Baptism by desire. The Baptism by desire is a very rare circumstance; the only case i know of would be St. Ambrose's comments on the Emperor Valentinian who died on his way to be baptized by St. Ambrose. This does not imply salvation outside of the Orthodox Church of Christ (as the Scriptures teach), but, it does concern the mode of how this Grace is vouchsafed. St. Ambrose in his "Funeral Oration for the Emperor Valentinian says: "But I hear that you grieve because he did not receive the sacrament of baptism. Tell me: What else is in your power other than the desire, the request? But he even had this desire for a long time, that, when he should come into Italy, he would be initiated, and recently he signified a desire to be baptized by me, and for this reason above all others he thought that I ought to be summoned. Has he not, then, the grace which he desired; has he not the grace which he requested? And because he asked, he received, and there-fore is it said: 'By whatsover death the just man shall be overtaken, his soul shall be at rest."

Grant, therefore, O holy Father, to Thy servant the gift which Moses received, because he saw in spirit; the gift which David merited, because he knew from revelation. Grant, I pray, to Thy servant Valentinian the gift which he longed for, the gift which he requested while in health, vigor, and security. If, stricken with sickness, he had deferred it, he would not be entirely without Thy mercy who has been cheated by the swiftness of time, not by his own wish. Grant, therefore, to Thy servant the gift of Thy grace which he never rejected, who on the day before his death refused to restore the privileges of the temples although he was pressed by those whom he could well have feared. A crowd of pagans was present, the Senate entreated, but he was not afraid to displease men so long as he pleased Thee alone his Christ. He who had Thy Spirit, how has he not received Thy grace? (Fathers of the Church Series, Vol. 22, Select Orations, pg. 287-288)

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I could understand Archimandrite Nil's Latin immediately ! Of course it helps that I loved that class in junior high
and high school. A wonderful language.

Yes, I thought that Mr Batman's Latin sounded funny. That's why. Good for you, Archimandrite, for catching that "faute" !

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Yes, the Latin language is a wonderful and precise language to express especially ecclesiastical matters. I can give only the advice to learn thoroughly this beautiful language.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Post by Isaakos »

One thing to consider Batman:

There is no other kind of Christian in heaven except an Orthodox Christian.

How could I state something like this? Simple: there is No salvation that can bypass Christ. So if a person is in paradise, they are by definition part of the mystical body of Christ, the invisible part of the Church. But the Invisible and visible body of the Church are united in Christ, and the visible Church is the Orthodox Church! Therefore, all those who have entered into paradise are Orthodox, because they are all ONLY in spiritual
Communion with the Orthodox Church. As Traditional Orthodox Christians, we are very careful to admit that the spiritual and invisible boundaries of the Church are not wider than her canonical boundaries.

So, say that a man dies desiring Orthodox baptism, specifically on his way to the baptismal font. Because he had a true desire for baptism and all the proper predispositions, we are very confident that Christ would have mercy on him, and WHEN he was finally admitted to paradise by Christ, he is admitted into nothing LESS than the fullness of union with Christ in his mystical body, the Church, which on earth is the Orthodox Church.

So everyone in Heaven is Orthodox because all of heaven communes with us and we all together commune with Christ.

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”