Inquirer asking another question about "canonical" churches

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Inquirer asking another question about "canonical" churc

Post by Maria »

KOSTACC wrote:

The World Orthodox have Apostolic succession but can't really be called canonical because they don't follow the canons and, or, have changed the spirit of the canons. Likewise, a jurisdiction that calls itself True Orthodox, follows the Church Calendar, and does every other thing correctly, yet is in schism or heresy is not canonical either. Regardless if they follow the canons or have some form of Apostolic succession, they are not truly canonical either.

So-called True Orthodox groups, such as HOCNA, which is part of the Makarian Synod, and Gregory Lourie's group in Russia, are examples of synods who are no longer canonical because they espouse the Name Worshiping heresy, which was condemned in the early 1900s by both the EP and the MP. However, discussion of Name-Worshiping should be discussed in World Orthodoxy where polemics is allowed.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Re: Inquirer asking another question about "canonical" churc

Post by Priest Antonios »

Maria wrote:

The anathemas are read during Vespers.

I'm sorry that I'm so late in joining the conversation.

Anyway, anywhere I've served on the Sunday of Orthodoxy the anathemas have been read after the hours or Divine Liturgy itself. It seems that there may be a little wiggle room in this tradition, as it were. Regardless, for Justin's sake, I should add that I've never served where they were not read as some part of the hours/Liturgy so as the majority of the faithful would all have the chance to hear and affirm them.

-Dcn Antonios