What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

Post by Handmaiden50 »

I got to thinking last night, what all goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission? I am an inquirer so I am not familiar, but this is my logic - If there a handful of people interested but they don't all live in the same city, but within say a 100+ mile radius of each other, couldn't you hold regular reader services initially via Skype and then whenever a priest from a TOC was available to have divine liturgy (as an example, say every 2 months) at that time everyone would make the trek to one central location? Has anyone heard of something being done that is similar?

I am in the Piedmont region of North Carolina.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

Post by Barbara »

That's a very sensible suggestion<
Quite a practical idea : I hope it could work anywhere in the world, in fact !

Importantly, the better plans are created, the easier it would be to implement new missions.
Therefore if a main model could be produced for How to Start UP a mission in your area", then this could be replicated anywhere in the world, or at least anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

[ Of course, I have never used Skype myself. I am assuming it would be a good tool for the readers services.
Anyone else know if Skype could work ? ]

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

I am not adverse to technology, but I do not really believe it has a place as the means of holding services. Our worship is corporate, and in my mind there is not a "body" worshiping together via internet connections. I am unaware of any bishops who have blessed holding internet services (as opposed to broadcasting a local service over the internet).

Reading the Typica or Hours at home with your family, IMO would be highly preferable to any internet based worship service. Watching the broadcast of a local service would also be preferable I think.

I do think Skype (or other tools) could be used as a catechetical tool for inquirers by offering classes and discussion groups.

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

Setting up a mission has many land mines that are not apparent at first. PM me if you want some advice on avoiding some of the traps.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC