Finding a Spiritual Father/Mother for direction

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: Finding a Spiritual Father/Mother for direction

Post by Jean-Serge »

What is your definition of a spiritual father?

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

A spiritual father ~

One who is mature in the faith, has wisdom, patience and discernment. A man of prayer.

In the case of someone seeking Orthodoxy, I would think a priest's role would be to make a point of meeting regularly with an individual to disciple them in the faith.

Someone who, in their own struggles over the years with their own passions and sins, is able to counsel others in the faith as to how to recognize triggers or tactics the enemy will use to trip one up to fall into sin or remain in sin and be able to advise and give remedies to use when struggling with sin (prayer/fasting, Scripture, etc). I would say it is the individual's responsibility, once one becomes Orthodox, to make regular confession with their priest for such guidance.

One should look at a spiritual father as someone to guide them in their spiritual journey, but not take it to the extreme that they (the spiritual child) become so dependant upon him for direction that he/she is unable to make a decision on their own.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Wow. That is a totally coherent and comprehensive understanding of spiritual guidance. From where did you learn that?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Joasia,

I really couldn't tell you . . .it's not from me. I believe the Lord has given me better understanding as I've been inquiring into Orthodoxy and I pray for wisdom. . .it's ALL Him.

For my part I've been reading books that Father has suggested, have been doing my own independant study as well, and have been trying my best to be faithful to my prayer rule every day but, as I said, the Lord's the one who has given me whatever understanding I have on this.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"