Sept 11th remembrance at OCA webpage.

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

rebecca

Post by rebecca »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

and that I believe the “sorrow” and “outrage” most Americans feel about 9/11 are really about an attack on the “icon” that is America, and not so much dead "Americans".

I think it's more the nature of the attack- the violence, the helplessness of the victims, and the fact that it was directed at Americans just like you and me. Also, the idea that these guys had such hatred, that they killed so many innocent people is very disturbing, IMO, especially since we were right there to see the suffering their hatred caused.

This terrorist attack actually may give some people more sympathy for those suffering in other nations. Maybe people are remembering the terror they felt as those bulidings collapsed, and realizing that in some parts of the world, that terror is a reality of daily life.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I hope you are right physicsgirl, though history teaches that that normally doesn't happen (most people awake in times of crisis and fall back to sleep after they think the crisis is over; I don't exclude myself from this fallen human psychological tendency :( )

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

physicsgirl,

That is probably very true, but I think it would be naivete if one were to believe that the disposition that characterizes humanity today proceeds from love.

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

If we were perfect, I guess bombing halfway across the world would affect us as much as ones nearby. But they don't -- Jerusalem is bombed nearly every day, but I can tell you I'd be much more affected if Seattle were bombed since that's closer to my home. I guess this means I'm a sinner and I'm not perfect -- no surprise to me.

What kind of Americans would we be if we callously FORGOT 9/11? How awful would that be?