Toll Houses + Unhealthy polemics at NFTU is not good.

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Toll Houses + Unhealthy polemics at NFTU is not good.

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

I have recently accepted the Toll Houses as completely Orthodox. There have just been so many orthodox saints that describe their experiences.

It took me a while, but I likewise have accepted Toll Houses as completely Orthodox. However, knowing the struggles that I underwent, I would not press the issue with inquirers or catechumen, lest they run away from True Orthodoxy thinking that we are crazy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Can one not accept the Toll Houses and still be fully Orthodox? and if the church wishes to canonize someone, how do we know they passed through all of the Toll houses?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Can one not accept the Toll Houses and still be fully Orthodox? and if the church wishes to canonize someone, how do we know they passed through all of the Toll houses?

Toll Houses are not a dogma of the faith. They were neither condemned nor mentioned as worthy of belief in the Holy Canons of the Seven Ecumenical Councils.

However, in certain supplicatory prayers, like the ones to the Guardian Angels and to the Theotokos, these "toll houses" are mentioned allegorically. Indirectly, we are told that if we are not repentant, have failed to forgive all who have offended us, and have not lifted up our hearts and minds to the Lord in unceasing prayer, then we could be subject to threats from demons at our death. Even Christ tells us in His teaching on the Lord's Prayer that unless we forgive others, we ourselves will not be forgiven.

At our death, these demons will assault and try us to see if they can successfully take our souls. However, our guardian angel will be there to protect us, but he can only do so if we have been faithful in our prayer life. This is the particular judgment which occurs immediately after our death and is said to last 40 days. This is why we pray for the faithful departed, that they may be saved. It is suggested that we pray the entire psalter (150 psalms) for their intentions.

If one were to pray the Jesus Prayer throughout the day, then this prayer places one in the mercy of Christ God. His protection is felt.

Ever since I have renewed my effort to pray throughout the day, after reading the book, The Way of the Pilgrim, I have noticed that I have not suffered any recent serious falls, neither physical or spiritual. It is as if my Guardian Angel and the Holy Spirit are on my shoulder guiding me. Whenever I forget to pray, then temptations assault me and I can easily fail. When I am outside walking, and my steps are shaky, then I remember to pray again, and my steps become more steady as I trust in the Lord.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Even though HOCNA has consistently taught against Toll Houses, their prayerbook says otherwise.

Carefully pray the Supplicatory Canon to one's Guardian Angel, and the Supplicatory Canon to the
Theotokos. There you will find prayers asking for help at one's death from the demonic forces.
These references are indirect reference to Toll Houses, which are not actual physical places or
houses. Instead they are aerial judgmental stations somewhere in space.

Although we cannot trust reports of Near Death Experiences because of the New Age teachings found
in them, there are some common factors. Nurses have heard some unrepentant women who have
experienced multiple abortions screaming at their deaths and fearing unseen demonic forces. However,
many children suffering from cancer who look forward to heaven when they die, have peaceful deaths,
and they often exclaim that Jesus and/or their Guardian Angel have come to greet them.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I hadn't heard about that : that the women who underwent abortions during their lifetimes were screaming at the time of repose. But it certainly makes sense ! One assumes that horribly ugly demons were crowding around the woman in this situation. Not merely fear of the demons, one expects, but actual visible -- even tangible -- experiences would make them cry out.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

These women, from the accounts I have read, vividly saw demonic forces, but the nurses and family members present at their deaths did not see anything.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, that makes sense. The nurses and other attendants would not be shown the pictures of the demonic attacks, for they could not see anything beyond the physical plane [ nor might they believe in anything beyond the everyday world ]. The demons were coming for the one soul in particular, so only she was able to apprehend them.