Brief History on the Thebes faction

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Brief History on the Thebes faction

Post by Justice »

Can anyone tell me why this group went into schism from the GOC-Stephanos?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Brief History on the Thebes faction

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Beware all the schisms started by schismatic clergy from the original GOC synod started by St. Matthew.

From what I have read, all these schisms in the Church start when certain clerics and or bishops under the tutelage of lay theologians (or monk theologians) have with ears itching followed their new teachings, left their synods, and then collected others to form a new synod, which they then declare to be the True Church. Then they declare all other Christians to be in schism and these others to have invalid sacraments. These schisms always introduce new heresies.

A very recent example today is HOCNA, which broke from ROCOR in 1986 when ROCOR demanded a spiritual court for Elder Panteleimon. This very recently departed Elder Panteleimon, before he died confessed to the sexual abuse of his own monks proving ROCOR correct. Thus he was defrocked by HOCNA in 2012. Later HOCNA removed those document from its website, and has continued to preach the heresies of Awake Sleeper and Name Worshiping.

Schisms which produce heresies has been shown to be an insidious pattern from the beginning of Christianity. Gnostics and Judaizers come to mind. Christ even warned us of these wolves who would if possible divide the Spotless Bride of Christ.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

d9popov

Post by d9popov »

Justice wrote:

The Thebes Synod (under Metropolitan Chrysostomos Tzanes of Thebes) has its origin in the "schism of the five metroplitans" in 1995 from the main Matthewite synod. The schism was led by Metropolitan Gregory of Messinia. The main Matthewite synod wanted to take a moderate attitude on icons, but the five schismatic Metropolitans favored western-style icons so much that they wanted to ban some traditional Byzantine icons or limit their use. Metropolitan Chrysostomos Metropoulos of Thessalonica split from this group and is now a solo-bishop. His calendars are quite impressive and have extensive quotations from the Church Fathers and also from Archbishop Matthew Karpathakes. Stavros Markou has also published teachings from Archbishop Matthew that the schismatic Metropolitan Kirykos Kontogiannes of Mesogaia does not support. Metropolitan Kirykos has much of the Matthewite archive. For example, Archbishop Matthew favored frequent communion. If I understand correctly, Archbishop Stephanos does as well.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

d9popov wrote:
Justice wrote:

The Thebes Synod (under Metropolitan Chrysostomos Tzanes of Thebes) has its origin in the "schism of the five metroplitans" in 1995 from the main Matthewite synod. The schism was led by Metropolitan Gregory of Messinia. The main Matthewite synod wanted to take a moderate attitude on icons, but the five schismatic Metropolitans favored western-style icons so much that they wanted to ban some traditional Byzantine icons or limit their use. Metropolitan Chrysostomos Metropoulos of Thessalonica split from this group and is now a solo-bishop. His calendars are quite impressive and have extensive quotations from the Church Fathers and also from Archbishop Matthew Karpathakes. Stavros Markou has also published teachings from Archbishop Matthew that the schismatic Metropolitan Kirykos Kontogiannes of Mesogaia does not support. Metropolitan Kirykos has much of the Matthewite archive. For example, Archbishop Matthew favored frequent communion. If I understand correctly, Archbishop Stephanos does as well.

Indeed, St. Matthew (Karpathakes) the New Confessor, followed the admonitions of the Kollyvades Fathers who urged frequent communion. On the contrary, Monk Kirykos Kontogiannes does not.

See this video by Father Panagiotes Carras.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

A few posts have been removed and transferred to the Mod Conference Room because they were off topic to the original question and they were also very divisive.

If dissension continues, members can be banned.

This thread is temporarily locked for moderator discussion.

Maria
Administration

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

After moderation team discussion, Khomes was banned for dissension and for abuse of Private Messaging. The purpose of this forum is thwarted when members resort to using the PM system to tear down members and clergy, to spread dissension, and to spread gossip.

This thread has now been reopened. Please do not start topics or posts that promote dissension or those threads will be permanently locked.

Maria
Administrator