Repose of Met Chrysostomos of Etna

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Barbara
Protoposter

Repose of Met Chrysostomos of Etna

Post by Barbara »

"February 19, 2019:

The Repose of the Most Reverend Chrysostomos,
Metropolitan Emeritus of Etna

On Satur­day, Fe­bru­ary 3, 2019 (O.S.), the Most Rev­erend Chrysos­to­mos, Metropoli­tan Emer­i­tus of Et­na, re­posed in the Lord, from com­pli­ca­tions of a long bout with heart dis­ease.

His fu­ner­al ser­vice and buri­al took place on Tues­day morn­ing, Fe­bru­ary 6 (O.S.), at the Saint Gre­go­ry Pala­mas Monastery in Et­na, Cal­i­for­nia, ac­cord­ing to the Monas­tic Typikon, which was in ac­cor­dance with his wish­es. The Most Rev­erend Aux­en­tios, Bish­op of Et­na and Port­land, presid­ed over the ser­vice, and the Ab­bot of the Monastery, Hegu­men Akakios, and the cler­gy of his Brother­hood took part, along with a small num­ber of the de­part­ed Hier­ar­ch’s spir­i­tu­al chil­dren.

The Most Rev­erend Chrysos­to­mos, Metropoli­tan Emer­i­tus of Et­na (in the world, A.E.J. González de Itur­ria­ga Alex­opou­los), was born in Cal­i­for­nia in the year 1943.

He was an aca­dem­ic, with de­grees in his­to­ry, Ortho­dox stud­ies, and psy­chol­o­gy from the Univer­si­ty of Cal­i­for­nia, the Cen­ter for Tra­di­tion­al­ist Ortho­dox Stud­ies, and Prince­ton Univer­si­ty. He taught at var­i­ous uni­ver­si­ties in­clud­ing Prince­ton, the Univer­si­ty of Cal­i­for­nia at River­side, and Ash­land Univer­si­ty. He held a spe­cial ap­point­ment at the The­o­log­i­cal In­sti­tute of Upp­sala Univer­si­ty in Swe­den and served as a Visit­ing Schol­ar at the Har­vard Divin­i­ty School, Ox­ford Univer­si­ty, and the Univer­si­ty of Wash­ing­ton. He al­so was a Ful­bright Schol­ar dur­ing the aca­dem­ic year 2000–2001, teach­ing at three in­sti­tu­tions in Ro­ma­nia.

To­geth­er with Bish­op Aux­en­tios, he was the co-founder of the Saint Gre­go­ry Pala­mas Monastery in Et­na, Cal­i­for­nia, and he au­thored many books and ar­ti­cles in var­i­ous schol­ar­ly jour­nals and mag­a­zines. He served as Se­nior Re­search Schol­ar at the Cen­ter for Tra­di­tion­al Ortho­dox Stud­ies in Et­na and as a Pro­fes­sor at the Saint Pho­tios Ortho­dox The­o­log­i­cal Sem­i­nary in the same city.

He was or­dained a Dea­con and then a Pri­est in 1976 by the Most Rev­erend Akakios, Metropoli­tan of Mon­tréal of the Church of the G.O.C. He was con­se­crat­ed a Bish­op on Jan­uary 8, 1986 (O.S.), with the ti­tle of “Bish­op of Oreoi,” by the Most Rev­erend Cypri­an, Metropoli­tan of Oro­pos and Phyle (+2013). He was en­throned as Bish­op of Et­na in May of 1989, and in Oc­to­ber of 1995 was award­ed the ti­tle of “Arch­bish­op.”

On March 5, 2014 (O.S.), he was elect­ed by the Holy Syn­od of the Church of the Gen­uine Ortho­dox Chris­tians of Greece as Metropoli­tan of the Metropo­lis of Et­na, Cal­i­for­nia. On Septem­ber 5, 2014 (O.S.), his pe­ti­tion to be num­bered among the re­tired Hier­ar­chs of the Holy Syn­od, for se­ri­ous health rea­sons, was ac­cept­ed, tak­ing ef­fect on De­cem­ber 19, 2014 (O.S.)."

http://dep.church/news.html
GOC main site carried the same article : http://www.hotca.org/news/miscellaneous ... us-of-etna

I wonder how the last name Alexopoulos came to Met Chrysostomos ? We know he was of Catalan descent which accounts for the rest of his names. Anyone have any clue from where his Greek last name derived ?