True Orthodox Prophecies concerning Russia and the End Times

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: True Orthodox Prophecies concerning Russia and the End Times

Post by Cyprian »

I do not think anyone here is despising prophecies. I think it is the duty of every Christian to discern genuine prophecies from spurious ones. It is not unreasonable or imprudent to require a source, along with a verifiable tradition of acceptance within the Church, of these many prophecies which are disseminated via the Internet.

For example, Vladimir produces a prophecy attributed to "St. Nilus the Myrrh-gusher of Mount Athos (+1596)" which you posted here. Nowhere is it mentioned when this prophecy was given. The implication is that it was given prior to the saint's repose, which is listed at the end of the 16th century. But others list the repose of Saint Nilus the Myrrhgusher as 1651, not 1596.

Vladimir Moss should provide a source for this prophecy and when it was first recorded. Some attribute this prophecy to a posthumous appearance of the saint, centuries after his repose. It is not unreasonable for us to seek clarification as to where and when this prophecy first appeared.

A Phony St. Nilus Prophecy?
http://www.traditioninaction.org/Questi ... Nilus.html

On the first page Averky claims the prophecy comes from: The Russian translation of the book published on Mt. Athos back in 1912, "The Posthumous Predictions of St. Nilus the Myrrh-streaming,"

Prophecy of St. Nilus
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Prophecy_of_St._Nilus

The Prophecy of St. Nilus is an apocryphal work of uncertain origin (thus often referred to as the Prophecy of Pseudo-Nilus) predicting the apocalypse to occur in the 19th or 20th century (depending on the version of the text). As there are serious problems with the text, it is clear that it was either not written by St. Nilus or that it has been altered in translation. With the advent of the Internet, the work has taken on the status of urban legend.

The Prophecy claims to be written by a saint named Nilus, variously the 4th century St. Nilus the Ascetic, the 17th century St. Nilus the Myrrhstreamer of Mount Athos, or someone from the 14th century.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, you beat me to it, Cyprian ! I immediately remembered that post on Tradition In Action when I came across that St Nil prophecy here. What RD [ I think was the author ] wrote made sense to me. I never believed that particular prophecy after finishing that letter to the TIA editor.
But that doesn't mean that ALL of the ones are wrong. Just that one. It's too pat, too, when one thinks about it. Too cleverly phrased.

I agree about sometimes the person purportedly prophesying seem to know too much in advance which is possible but rather unlikely.
Such as the example given about Austria. I wondered about Russia, too ! After all, it was not so much on the map at that time as it is today. Perhaps there are some additions or adjustments made here and there along the way. That would not invalidate the prophecies completely.

It is difficult to sort out which are true, which are partly true. It is important to all of us to discern this. That's why having a discussion amongst a group helps clarify one's thoughts.

Maria's quite right about the repentance, however. MANY prophecies have given the idea of massive destruction.
Even Catholic ones have included this warning of a large part of humanity being destroyed as a chastisement from Heaven, said to be by fire [ Akita, Japan, early 1970s ]. We do need to take the possibility of divine punishment very seriously. Any information garnered from the true Prophecies are of great benefit in preparing.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian

Post by Maria »

Cyprian, can one trust Orthodox Wiki, which is hosted by a member of the OCA?

The World Orthodox are quick to call many prophecies bogus.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I saw that yesterday about orthodoxwiki being the project of an OCA person. I had no idea !
Is it stated anywhere who that may be ?
That's important to know.

I have been running across various prophecies reported informally. They are not specific like the ones Maria has posted.
But they deserve some attention as well.
I will try to copy some of them here.

This I found on - ha ha - Wikipedia when looking up something else. I decided to read through some facts I didn't know about Metropolitan Anastassy [Gribanovsky] 's fascinating life. I came across this from early in his ecclesiastical career :

"On June 29, 1906, he was ordained Bishop of Serpukhov, vicar of the Moscow diocese. At his ordination, he pronounced a remarkable homily "The True Way of Christ's Pastoral Work", in which he prophesied the upcoming turmoil and persecutions."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasius_(Gribanovsky)

So that was 11 years before the Bolshevik Revolution that then-Bishop Anastassy clearly foresaw the persecution of the Church. I wonder if this sermon was preserved anywhere ?

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Post by Cyprian »

Cyprian, can one trust Orthodox Wiki, which is hosted by a member of the OCA? The World Orthodox are quick to call many prophecies bogus.

No Maria, I do not blindly trust Orthodox Wiki. I have encountered bad info on Orthodox Wiki before.

It was simply a convenient source to cite in order to raise legitimate questions about the origin of this prophecy, which is not altogether exactly clear. The simple way to debunk claims of prophecies being bogus is to provide a properly documented origin, along with a tradition whereby a prophecy has gained wide acceptance in the Church.

Archbishop Averky was a holy hierarch and if he truly did publish this prophecy as has been claimed, then I do not take much issue with it, for I trust his judgment, and I do not find anything objectionable in the prophecy.

I never said I rejected this particular prophecy. The main question seems to revolve around when this prophecy was given / published. It does not seem very clear at all.

I even agree wholeheartedly with this part:

"And he, the dishonourable one, will so complete science with vainglory that it will lose its way and lead people to unbelief in the existence of the God in three Persons."

People are far too trusting of the false claims of scientists in our day. Even many Orthodox Christians blindly accept the lies of the pseudo-scientists, trusting whatever propaganda we are all fed in school and by Hollywood and the news media.

That is why many, including myself in the past, before I was properly informed, without thinking will call the earth a planet, when it is not a planet. In fact, the sun is a planet, not the earth. But no one goes around saying, "planet sun". Rather, you will hear people usually say "planet earth". It is just a habit of speech that most people thoughtlessly employ, but it is illustrative of the depth of deception we encounter in our day.

Most everyone has been taught to believe that there are trillions of stars like unto our sun, despite the Fathers telling us that God created only one sun, and that stars shine not with a light of their own, but reflect the light of the sun.

The pseudo-scientists of our day tell us that there are "old" stars and "young" stars that are billions of years apart in age and other such nonsense.

God created the stars on the fourth day, only thousands of years ago. They are all the same age, and are not billions of years old. What rubbish.

All the popular scientific journals, websites (including NASA), and popular video documentaries are full of lies, deceit, and deliberate propaganda, designed to subvert people's faith and trust in the Holy Scriptures. Christians should turn away from these seductive sites and pay them no attention, and not encourage others to become enamored with astronomy and such. It is spiritually very dangerous to become enamored with modern scientific study, since so much of what we are told is deliberate disinformation fed to us in an attempt to undermine our belief in God's revelation.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

St Cornelius, Fool-for-Christ of Krypets Monastery in the Pskov region, is known for having made a few prophecies of the upcoming disasters facing Russia.
While this Saint is not really True Orthodox, he lived before the Revolution and thus somewhat qualifies ! He was born in 1841 and reposed in 1903.
"There will be a grievous time in Russia, such as there has never been before," he told his spiritual acquaintances.

What remedy did Fr. Cornelius suggest to avert the catastrophe ?

Specially devoted to the Prophet Elijah, he told pilgrims to pray to this Saint.
"OTHERWISE, IT WILL BE BAD," Fr. Cornelius warned.

In a petition to the Synod, his follower narrated that Fr Cornelius had asked that

"the name of the Prophet Elijah be commemorated in all churches at the priest's dismissal.
When the names of the 3 Holy Hierarchs - Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom - and that of St Nicholas the Wonderworker are commemorated, after them the name of the Holy Prophet Elijah should be commemorated in all of the churches.
Then, peace and God's grace will be poured out throughout the whole land, and there will be a great grain harvest, such as there has never been before."

This document is preserved in the Russian State Historical Archive.
Only in our time, perhaps, is attention being directed to this remarkable idea of St Cornelius' now that his Life has been published and translated into English.
Maybe the same suggestion would work even today if applied !