New synodal house for ROCOR-A

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: New synodal house for ROCOR-A

Post by Barbara »

Ironically, I just received their new catalog in the mail TODAY ! By looking at the catalog, the group caters Vatican II Catholics. There are icon-style images of false apparitions, like "Divine Mercy" - Sister Faustina Kowalska (1930s, Poland). Indeed such an image is among a few on the catalog's cover, including a Russian Our Lady of Kazan Icon.

All these are by a Brother Simeon Davis, who appears humble and unassuming.

However, besides versions of traditional Orthodox Icons, there are not very edifying images, such as a laughing "St Teresa of Calcutta".

Toward the end of the catalog, there are several pages of Sofrino Russian icons, the beautiful type with foil, which appear to be popular with their customers. For example, there are regular icons, travel triptychs, enamel pendants etc.

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by SavaBeljovic »

Davyd97 wrote: Tue 5 March 2024 9:53 pm
Barbara wrote: Sun 3 March 2024 10:07 pm

Oh, you are familiar with the San Diego area ? How far away is Borrego Springs from San Diego ? For some reason I thought it way out by Palm Springs. It's a great area in general, climate-wise and with the palm trees.

Monastery Icons is the most Sphinx like organization ! There is an outer operation selling the icons painted by one Fr Simeon Davis. But behind that, and what they REALLY believe is very hard to discern. Certainly, they have been successful on the business side.

Someone should go research the bacground deeply and write a book on them ! No one has done that so far.

I didn't make my previous statement clear, this is on my end. I am not familiar with the SD area. 

I have heard of Monastery Icons, aside from their blatant syncretism, I don't know anything about them.

If you do want to know more about them, there is a great article on Patrick Barnes' "Orthodoxinfo" about them... It's quite bizarre. Otherwise, there might be posts (some might even be on here!) and videos online about them. 

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Chauvin

Post by Chauvin »

SavaBeljovic wrote: Fri 8 March 2024 8:40 pm
Davyd97 wrote: Tue 5 March 2024 9:53 pm
Barbara wrote: Sun 3 March 2024 10:07 pm

Oh, you are familiar with the San Diego area ? How far away is Borrego Springs from San Diego ? For some reason I thought it way out by Palm Springs. It's a great area in general, climate-wise and with the palm trees.

Monastery Icons is the most Sphinx like organization ! There is an outer operation selling the icons painted by one Fr Simeon Davis. But behind that, and what they REALLY believe is very hard to discern. Certainly, they have been successful on the business side.

Someone should go research the bacground deeply and write a book on them ! No one has done that so far.

I didn't make my previous statement clear, this is on my end. I am not familiar with the SD area. 

I have heard of Monastery Icons, aside from their blatant syncretism, I don't know anything about them.

If you do want to know more about them, there is a great article on Patrick Barnes' "Orthodoxinfo" about them... It's quite bizarre. Otherwise, there might be posts (some might even be on here!) and videos online about them. 

Can you link the article?

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy

Post by SavaBeljovic »

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

If that's the same one by Fr Anthony Nelson [now Archimandrite Benedict (Nelson) ] of Oklahoma City, that's pretty old. I think almost all the original participants, some described in that article, have long since left ! I don't have a clue who is there today, but the place seems more on an even keel than it was in the wild earlier days.
There is also the autobiography of George Burke "The Flight of an Eagle" or something like that. I found it by chance at a bookstore ages ago and read it. He must be pretty old by now.