Up From Below: On non-Orthodox Music

Julianna

Youth of the Apocaplypse

Post by Julianna »

This site here has a page with book recommendations. Here's it's link for Youth of the Apocalypse

The other books are listed at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/index.html you'll have to scroll down some. There's books for both youth and adults

Valentina
Jr Member

Post by Valentina »

Thank you Julianna. GOd Bless

Natasha
Sr Member

RE:

Post by Natasha »

If this kind of music is the answer, http://www.peterjon.com/
I will claw my eyes out.
Seriously, if this is "American Orthodoxy" count me out. This is like something from a southern baptist youth convention.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

If he wants to write hokey music that makes me want to stick dynamite in my ears, fair enough...but don't go pasting anything about "American Orthodoxy" on the album cover. \/

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Here is what I listen to the most http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org

At work I have no choice but to listen to secular music as I work in a resturant, and I have come to really not like the stuff. Before I was Orthodox I was all into the punk stuff and the like...since becoming Orthodox I haven't touched the stuff. Because of that I am really looking forward to reading Youth of the Apocalypse when it comes in the mail (I ordered it Sunday).

Natasha, that stuff looks gross.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Nektarios, what kind of bands were you into? I know there are at least 2 other ex punk rockers who post or lurk on this board somwhere. Not that we should discuss secular music here(is all non liturgical musicl secular? i tend to definately think not!), I'm just curious :P

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Peter:

I agree 100%. The Church could do so much to reach out to non-ethnics by using Traditional chants in the English language. A church can be traditional in praxis and 100% English. What the Antiochians have done by waspitizing their churches is gross and has given all those seeking a more American (i.e. English services) Orthodoxy a bad name. I've never been to the Saint Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, but from what I've read and heard they could be a good example of American Orthodoxy. Their books published in English have helped so many people, especially converts (like me!) and especially when I was a potential convert. Also doing their liturgy in English is nice. Has anyone here beeen there?

With all that said though the language isn't the end all. There is no place that I love more than Saint Anthony's Monastery which is 100% Greek.