re: Name-Worshipping

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: re: Name-Worshipping

Post by jgress »

It's difficult, I agree, to determine whether an open Name-worshipper should be permitted on this forum. At least she is only permitted to promote these views in the private section. But if we forbid name-worshipping, why shouldn't we forbid other views that some, but not others, determine to be heretical, e.g. Romanideanism?

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

3) What is a name? How are names manifest?
A name has two aspects: an internal aspect that is the naming energy itself, and an external one that is the sounds and letters. That is, a name is the energy clothed in the sounds and letters. A name, in its essence, is the cognitive energy of the mind, which might not be clothed in sounds and letters (inner words, simple thought). Man knows an object through his mind, names it mentally, and then, if necessary, utters the name in sounds or letters.

4) In cognizing and naming created objects, the movement of human thought is from mind to object. Therefore the names of created objects are inherently created, they are the energy of the created human mind.

5) The created mind is not able to know or name God. But this is possible through grace, as the self-revelation of the uncreated God to the created mind. God names Himself and by means of revelation “gives” to the human mind this naturally inaccessible naming. That is, the movement of the naming energy goes from God to the created mind. If the human mind actively cognizes when naming created objects, it is passively receptive when naming God. If necessary, the uncreated energy of God is clothed in created sounds and words. Therefore, God’s names are uncreated in their inner essence – they are His self-revealing energy and not the creative efforts of the human mind.

6) Energy is the movement of essence.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? You've really lost it, sister. Do you not even see the absurdity of all this?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

nun.xenia
Jurisdiction: Hierarchial Conference of ROAC

Post by nun.xenia »

jgress wrote:

It's difficult, I agree, to determine whether an open Name-worshipper should be permitted on this forum. At least she is only permitted to promote these views in the private section. But if we forbid name-worshipping, why shouldn't we forbid other views that some, but not others, determine to be heretical, e.g. Romanideanism?

Could you plase explin to me why do you take (or want to take) it as heretical? I took time to write a detaies explaination for you to make it easier to explain yourself.

nun.xenia
Jurisdiction: Hierarchial Conference of ROAC

Post by nun.xenia »

joasia wrote:

3) What is a name? How are names manifest?
A name has two aspects: an internal aspect that is the naming energy itself, and an external one that is the sounds and letters. That is, a name is the energy clothed in the sounds and letters. A name, in its essence, is the cognitive energy of the mind, which might not be clothed in sounds and letters (inner words, simple thought). Man knows an object through his mind, names it mentally, and then, if necessary, utters the name in sounds or letters.

4) In cognizing and naming created objects, the movement of human thought is from mind to object. Therefore the names of created objects are inherently created, they are the energy of the created human mind.

5) The created mind is not able to know or name God. But this is possible through grace, as the self-revelation of the uncreated God to the created mind. God names Himself and by means of revelation “gives” to the human mind this naturally inaccessible naming. That is, the movement of the naming energy goes from God to the created mind. If the human mind actively cognizes when naming created objects, it is passively receptive when naming God. If necessary, the uncreated energy of God is clothed in created sounds and words. Therefore, God’s names are uncreated in their inner essence – they are His self-revealing energy and not the creative efforts of the human mind.

6) Energy is the movement of essence.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? You've really lost it, sister. Do you not even see the absurdity of all this?

Explain the absurdity please, THis are all from Holy Fathers. For example, number (6) is St.Gregopry Palamas (and not only, this is a generally apcepted theological point). Did you read them? They would sound absurdity to you too.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

jgress wrote:

Well, that's where you come in. It shouldn't be on the private TOC. The agreement is that we have the same dogmas and theology beliefs. This name-worshiping is totally off the charts. And who in TOC would follow Romanides?? Put, those threads outside the TOC since they have nothing to do with us.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Explain the absurdity please, THis are all from Holy Fathers. For example, number (6) is St.Gregopry Palamas (and not only, this is a generally apcepted theological point). Did you read them? They would sound absurdity to you too.

You provide no quotes. Read my quotes. Give me details of quotes and from which books. Then I will show you how out of context they are.

Last edited by joasia on Mon 2 January 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

nun.xenia wrote:
jgress wrote:

Could you plase explin to me why do you take (or want to take) it as heretical? I took time to write a detaies explaination for you to make it easier to explain yourself.

I am not going to discuss it with you. All I am saying is that not only do I believe Name-worshipping to be a heresy, but just about every other True Orthodox jurisdiction believes the same (except, I suppose, your own). Since name-worshipping is almost universally condemned in True Orthodoxy, that makes your position precarious. However, I am not certain it would be right to ban you for that, since that could jeopardize the position of other members who have beliefs that others here would condemn.

But joasia is right that you have to declare your jurisdiction in your profile.