Heiromonk James on the Complicated Orthodox

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

BTW Fr. Ambrose helped me snag this from the Indiana list archives. He told me that he thinks that the phone number has changed but that the address remains the same.

On the Feast of Dormition I spoke to Fr. James Deschene of the Christ
the Savior Monastery of the Western Rite. Fr. James celebrated Divine
Liturgy in St. John the Russian Church in Ipswich, MA, substituting for
the absent Rector. He said that he would welcome inquiries over the
phone (401-725-1692), and that pilgrims are coming to the Monastery for
services (Liturgy is celebrated at 5 AM on weekdays, 7 AM on Saturdays
and Sundays). Their address is 27 Whitman St., Pawtucket, RI 02860.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

..and now the email address.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Also Fr. John Shaw said the latest email address he has for Fr. James is JDeschene@riag.state.ri.us if anyone is interested in talking with him.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Heiromonk James' Phone number

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I called Father James this afternoon, and the above number is wrong. the current number is (401) 943 - 3990.

Methodius

Monastery locations?

Post by Methodius »

Has the address changed too?

尼古拉前执事
Archon

New Addy!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The address HAS changed:

FROM NORTH: Take I-95 south past RI State House. Take exit for Route 6/Route 10 opposite Providence Place Mall. Take route 6 west until it curves right. Continue past exit for Hartford Ave, and take the next exit for Killingly Street. Take a left onto Killingly. At first intersection and red light, take a left onto Hartford Avenue. At the next light, take a right onto Petteys Avenue and go almost to the end of the street. Monastery will be #53 on your left, about four buildings from the end of the street.

FROM SOUTH: Take I-95 north to Providence to exit for Route 6/Route10 west. Then follow directions above.

FROM EAST: Take I-195 to Providence, then I-95 north. The second exit after getting onto I-95 north will be for Route 6/Route 10 west. Follow directions above.

FROM WEST: Take route 6 east, and take the Killingly Street exit. Turn right onto Killingly. At first red light turn left onto Hartford Avenue and follow directions above.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

My experience with one of ROCOR's Western Rite Churches

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I attended today. It was very interesting. In some ways what I expected, in some ways not. Heiromonk James is right in saying it is hard to explain. I still prefer the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, but next time I am in the area, I shall make sure to visit ROCOR's own Christ the Saviour Monastery.

Seraphim Reeves

I would be very interested

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

I would be very interested in visiting a western-rite parish/mission. Given my background, that is probably easy to understand. I love Gregorian chant, and appreciate the somberness, and perhaps more "spartan" feel of the western tradition. It's very re-assuring for me, to see that "Western Orthodoxy" has had such noble supporters (including St.John of San Francisco.)

Seraphim