Questions ...

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Steve
Jr Member

I really, really ...

Post by Steve »

appreciate each response. But most of all, I love each of you responders. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) :o :D :lol:

Brother Nicholas

Post by Brother Nicholas »

denis - distance should not be a problem necessarily. Obviously, I don't know the geography involved, but you ought to check around and see if any of the other parishoners of that Church are not close enough to help you with your transportation to Church and back. Since Orthodox Churches are not to be found on every street corner like some of the heterodox churches are, you might find that there are others who have to travel a good bit to get there and might be willing to go out of their way a bit to help.
Just a thought, but it might work.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Ole Rocker,
Just wondering how things are going with you becoming a Catechumen and how your wife is handling it... have you been able to answer any of her questions after our advice to you? Has she asked anymore harder questions? Is she willing yet to talk to a priest/attend Church with you? We have been praying for you and your wife!

MaryCecilia

Steve
Jr Member

It's been tough ...

Post by Steve »

MaryCecilia K wrote:

Ole Rocker,
Just wondering how things are going with you becoming a Catechumen and how your wife is handling it... have you been able to answer any of her questions after our advice to you? Has she asked anymore harder questions? Is she willing yet to talk to a priest/attend Church with you? We have been praying for you and your wife!

MaryCecilia

She's not handling it very well, and this causes me to have doubts and I'm struggling with going on with it. I can answer her questions, but she refuses to accept them as valid. No, no more harder questions. No, she will not meet with my priest or attend church. Please keep praying!

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

my mother was always the same way. I converted and she was a wessleyan. no matter what reason I gave she just plain did not want to hear it. she did not believe anything I said. she still does not like the idea. so I wish you the best of luck in this situation.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I'm sorry to hear that she's not handling it well Ole Rocker, I really don't know what to say in reply, except don't give up and keep praying. You and your wife are always in our prayers! When my husband and I go to the Monastery this weekend for alil retreat we'll light a candle for you.

In Christ,
MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Don't despair, put your trust in God, even when things seem most dire. And above all, don't be afraid of taking a step back if it would be more beneficial (for your soul and hers). Eventually, I think you'd need to make a firm stance, according to some of the "hard sayings" in the Gospels. For now though, keep her spiritual health at the center of things. If that means being inwardly Orthodox, while outwardly distancing yourself for a time, then I'd say pray to God for His forgiveness and do it. We are all praying for you, I'm sure (including many lurkers who don't post).