Would You Participate in a Scripture Study Thread?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.

Would you participate? And if yes, to what extent?

I wouldn't participate or even read the thread.

No votes

I would lurk, but not participate.

12%

I probably wouldn't add much, but I'd read it.

29%

I'd be very interested in trying it.

35%

When do we get started!?

24%

Total votes: 17

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Those suggestions sound very good.

Before it is decided, might I expand on this a little...

Why not study the reading the week before so we are prepared. This way anyone with questions can also ask their priest; in addition, this may add a new dimension to our appreciation of the Gospel reading for each Sunday.

Monday could be the close when we could discuss Sundays sermons ect. Tuesday we prepare for the next.

I know this may sound complicated, and complicated almost never works, but its just a suggestion.

Natasha
Sr Member

Sure

Post by Natasha »

It sounds like a great idea! Let's try it.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'm a little unsure exactly what you were thinking about a set up for the discussion, OOD... could you spell it out a bit more explicitly for me (perhaps with an example)?

Since we should of course be following the fathers (past and present) in our views, I'd be willing to type in/hunt down any references that might help us understand the passage. I've found that, many times, what I see in a passage is very different from what the saints see. Just tonight I found this to be the case as I was researching the patristic sources for a post I'd like to make on the Apostle Thomas. I had always taken Jn. 11:16 as a sign that St. Thomas was very courageous; Saint John Chrysostom (in numerous places) says the opposite, that this was said out of cowardice. I never saw that coming!

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Justin,

Yes, I often explain things as if everyone should just be able to read my mind.

What I was thinking was, instead of coming home from Church on Sunday after having heard the Gospel and the priests sermon, and then studying it all week, why not prepare for it the prior week so that when we go to church, our ears will be quite perked.

And then, since we may want to add a few last words after hearing the sermons, we cold wrap up on Monday, and begin preparing again on Tuesday for the upcoming Sunday.

Simply put:

Week 1
Tuesday to Saturday = Prepare for Gospel Reading "A"
Monday = Conclude discussion about Gospel reading "A"

Week 2
Tuesday to Saturday = Prepare for Gospel Reading "B"
Monday = Conclude discussion about Gospel reading "B"

Its just my rational mind at work - and its just an idea. I'm on board for whatever is decided.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I was just wondering how many people are seriously interested in doing something like this... I noticed that there is now currently more who would be interested in trying it out. I also was curious about when we were planning on starting this. I am looking forward to participating in this as I'm sure I will learn a lot from these discussions. I was also wondering if we're going to just stick to the New Testament or will we be looking at the Old Testament as well.

MaryCecilia

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Well this thread spawned this folder of the forum, so I hope people are going to do it! I think we should start today with it being a Tuesday, following OOD's plan for the Gospel readings.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Ok, I have to admit that I'm a bit thick headed, cause I'm still not totally clear on how this is going to go. So let me see if I have this... starting on Tuesday (today) we start preparing for the Gospel (or epistle? or both?) reading, meditate, study, etc. On Sunday (after Liturgy?) we can start discussing it. The discussion will end Monday night, and Tuesday we will begin the next reading? Also, does anyone know a website where it lists the readings for each Sunday?