I Kind of Want to be a Monk

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: I Kind of Want to be a Monk

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Mother, for your excellent post.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

Thank you very much Mother for your input. I highly appreciate it. I hope I have what it takes to be a monk...

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Hello JamesR, well being a monk not necessarily supposes being alone. Generally, people begin with a cenobitic life and later can become ermits. However, the thing you mentioned about self abuse makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to become monk.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Cerafim

Post by Cerafim »

James, the very best thing you can do for yourself (1) decide if you will continue in the OCA. Then (2) once you've made your decision, get acquainted with monasticism through visiting for short periods a monastic community. This will give you a realistic - as opposed to an idealized - vision of what monasticism is really like. It might be best for you to visit several monastic communities to get a better picture of what it means to be a monk and, more importantly, to provide you with information that you will need to determine if you think that this is something that you will do for the rest of your life. I have known many young men and women who have a romanticized notion of what monastic life is like, and who came away from it disillusioned. Monastic life is extremely difficult but if you are cut out to become a monastic, it is extremely rewarding.

First, evaluate what Traditional Orthodoxy is. Then proceed to investigate monasticism. You are very young; take your time and be honest with yourself.

Rdr Cerafim

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

If you're still struggling with sexual sin, I suggest you sort that out before thinking about monasticism.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I bet James is doing better now, with his new love interest [ ! ] to keep his attention off of less positive stuff.

We haven't heard from James for a little while but it sounds as though he maturing quite nicely.

Are you still considering the monastic life as much as before, James ?

Cerafin is quite astute in asserting that the best step would be to talk Miss X. into leaving the OCA with him
and entering one of our jurisdictions together.

Then to have clarity about the best way to go.

My personal opinion is that no one or let's say, few, can have CLARITY at ALL while a member of the OCA ?
Do you know they have catered meals at the Trinity Cathedral in San Francisco, at least on Feast Days ?
Parish life there seems so OPPOSITE of the monastic ideal that there is no way to even sort things out with
adequate balance. Just my idea, I take blame for my opinionated words !