Best Prayer Book for True Orthodox

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Theodore

Re: Best Prayer Book for True Orthodox

Post by Theodore »

How do these prayer books compare with the Old Orthodox (Old Beliver) prayer book in terms of production quality and utility for use by True Orthodox believers? Does the Old Orthodox cover more prayers and liturgical aspects than the others ?

I have seen it for sale here:

http://shop.churchofthenativity.net/col ... rayer-book

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Theodore wrote:

How do these prayer books compare with the Old Orthodox (Old Beliver) prayer book in terms of production quality and utility for use by True Orthodox believers? Does the Old Orthodox cover more prayers and liturgical aspects than the others ?

I have seen it for sale here:

http://shop.churchofthenativity.net/col ... rayer-book

Theodore,

Personally, I use this prayer book regularly. It is wonderful for travel as it contains all the major services, not simply excerpts from them, together with a number of canons, a nice selection of troparia and other prayers. In some ways, it's really a mini-horologion. I hope this helps.

-Fr Antonios

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Re: HTM arrangement of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

The arrangement of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos from Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HTM), now HOCNA), which is used by St. Anthony Greek Orthodox Monastery in Florence, Arizona (under the EP), is rather pretentious. I have difficulty praying it. I wish there were better translations out there. We really need a True Orthodox prayerbook now that both HOCNA and Jordanville of ROCOR have fallen into various heresies.

Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HOCNA) in Boston was originally with the Greek New Calendarists until 1965 and only went with ROCOR because the Fathers at Mt. Athos had told Panteleimon that he should follow the Old Calendar. In 1986 when HTM was threatened with an ecclesiastical court proceeding against Elder Panteleimon, he abruptly left ROCOR and joined Auxentios. Elder Panteleimon finally admitted his guilt and was defrocked in 2012 by HOCNA who had fallen into the heresies of Name-Worshiping and Asleep Sleeper, a type of universalism.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

IXOYE
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Post by IXOYE »

Maria wrote:

The arrangement of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos from Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HTM), now HOCNA), which is used by St. Anthony Greek Orthodox Monastery in Florence, Arizona (under the EP), is rather pretentious. I have difficulty praying it. I wish there were better translations out there. We really need a True Orthodox prayerbook now that both HOCNA and Jordanville of ROCOR have fallen into various heresies.

Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HOCNA) in Boston was originally with the Greek New Calendarists until 1965 and only went with ROCOR because the Fathers at Mt. Athos had told Panteleimon that he should follow the Old Calendar. In 1986 when HTM was threatened with an ecclesiastical court proceeding against Elder Panteleimon, he abruptly left ROCOR and joined Auxentios. Elder Panteleimon finally admitted his guilt and was defrocked in 2012 by HOCNA who had fallen into the heresies of Name-Worshiping and Asleep Sleeper, a type of universalism.

Do you not mean Monk Panteleimon?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

IXOYE wrote:
Maria wrote:

Do you not mean Monk Panteleimon?

Yes, he is now a monk now that he is defrocked, but he is still popularly known as Elder Panteleimon.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.