Modest versus Immodest clothing. What to wear to Church?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Modest versus Immodest clothing. What to wear to Church?

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Barbara wrote:

I can remember the days when men wore nice suits with ties

Ties and other excessive adornments should not be worn in Church, per St. John of San Francisco and others. Wearing ties in church is actually an American/Western tradition.

Would you advocate for a simple polo shirt for men? and long, formal dresses for women?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Ties and other excessive adornments should not be worn in Church, per St. John of San Francisco and others. Wearing ties in church is actually an American/Western tradition.

Would you advocate for a simple polo shirt for men? and long, formal dresses for women?

In most traditional Orthodox Christian parishes, men usually wear slacks with long sleeved shirts (no ties). In cold weather, men wear sports coats or jackets to cover their long sleeved shirts. Whenever the bishop comes, some boys and men prefer to wear the Russian traditional shirts (aka wedding shirts). Young boys (especially those under 6) can be seen wearing shorts as part of their traditional costumes whereas men will wear the traditional long pants.

Women usually wear a modest long skirt and buttoned blouse with long sleeves. Some will wear a sweater, vest, or jacket over the blouse. If a dress is worn, it is not formal wear, but it is a modest long dress without any plunging neckline or bare sleeves. Whenever the bishop comes on a pastoral visit, some girls and women will wear the traditional dress of their country, whether Greek, Georgian, Serbian, or Russian and present the proper gifts: flowers and bread. A triangular scarf (folded square piece of material) tied under the chin is usually worn, or a long rectangular scarf can be draped over the head and then around the neck. However, in hot desert climates, a lacy mantilla can be worn although it is not recommended as sheer fabrics (see through) are not considered appropriate. In either case, monasteries are much more strict than regular parishes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I had no idea that ties are not wanted in Orthodox Churches ! St John said that ? It's his Translation of Relics Feast Day already by the Universal Clock.

I am certainly taken aback at this revelation.

About the long formal dresses for the ladies, I would advocate for them on Pascha and major Feast Days. It adds such a nice note of respect and reverence to see people dressed up in their best. Formal type dresses - not the actual ball gowns hardly seen today anyway - but fancy dress wear in satin and elegant fabrics, enhance the festive look of the happy occasion.
These do not have to be cut low. That problem can be remedied by wearing short jackets or shawls wrapped around the shoulders.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I had no idea that ties are not wanted in Orthodox Churches ! St John said that ? It's his Translation of Relics Feast Day already by the Universal Clock.

I am certainly taken aback at this revelation.

About the long formal dresses for the ladies, I would advocate for them on Pascha and major Feast Days. It adds such a nice note of respect and reverence to see people dressed up in their best. Formal type dresses - not the actual ball gowns hardly seen today anyway - but fancy dress wear in satin and elegant fabrics, enhance the festive look of the happy occasion.
These do not have to be cut low. That problem can be remedied by wearing short jackets or shawls wrapped around the shoulders.

I was reading a book advised to me by my spiritual father in which the priest-author cautioned that modesty, prudence, and temperance are needed in choosing which dresses to wear to church.

At my Traditional Orthodox Christian parish, quite a few of the ladies wear the same skirt Sunday after Sunday as the Divine Liturgy is not a fashion show. Even in the heat, they wear a long woven wool skirt in somber colors such as brown, tan, or black. Indeed, it is a tradition of the Lebanese and Syrian ladies to wear a long black velvet dress with white lace, and again, they will wear the same dress to every Divine Liturgy even during hot summer months.

Yes, the Divine Liturgy has been compared to a wedding and to the Feast of the Lamb. We are to wear, as best as possible, a clean garment, a spotless garment, but not one which will show off our figure as do formal type fancy dresses in satin, silk, and lace. That type of garment is suitable for a wedding, but even then, priests tell the young bride to wear long sleeves, and not to wear the latest high style fashion undress from Paris.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Yes, long-sleeved polos, and long, formal (but not fancy) dresses. For the women I would basically advocate for what Maria said above.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Is it ok for women to wear hats to church as long as they're formal? or does a hat not count as a head covering?

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Justice wrote:

Is it ok for women to wear hats to church as long as they're formal? or does a hat not count as a head covering?

Depends on who you ask, but I think most (if not all) traditional Orthodox would say that a hat does not count as a head covering.