The correct way to make the Sign of the Cross

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: The correct way to make the Sign of the Cross

Post by Matthew »

Hmmm. I see ...maybe it was just some hollywood actor who had no idea how the cross is really supposed to be done in any particular tradition and just made it up based on some foggy impressions or memories he had.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Was the quotation by St John Chrysostom referenced already here >
would like to read what he said about devils laughing at poorly made Signs of the Cross.
Thanks ---

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I found this interesting article when searching for an answer to Barbara's question. Although it does not answer her specific question, this is a general article about the differences between Roman Catholic and Orthodox when they make the Sign of the Cross. Please see this article as I have only presented an excerpt here which deals with why the Orthodox prefer the right side.

http://www.orthodox.net/articles/about- ... eself.html

• Because the Lord separated the sheep from the goats, putting the faithful sheep on His right side, and the goats on the left, the Church always treats the right side as the preferred side. We only cross ourselves with our RIGHT hand. The priest, when blessing a person, first touches or points to their RIGHT side, then their left. Also the censing of the Holy Table in the Altar is always done from the RIGHT side first; censing of the Ikonostasis, the Congregation and of the Church itself always begins with the right side. The priest always gives communion with his RIGHT hand, even if he is left handed. There are other examples of this right side preference.

When a parent makes the sign of the cross over a child, they will cross them from left to right, just as the priest blesses. When they make the sign of the cross over themselves, they would do it, logically, the other way.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here are several quotes from the Church Fathers concerning the Sign of the Cross

Cyril of Jerusalem

• Let us not then be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Let the Cross be our seal made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat, and the cups we drink; in our comings in, and goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are on the way and when we are still. Great is that preservative; it is without price, for the poor's sake; without toil, for the sick, since its grace is from God. It is the Sign of the faithful, and the dread of evils; for He has triumphed over them in it, having made a mockery of them openly; for when they see the Cross, they are reminded of the Crucified; they are afraid of Him, Who has bruised the heads of the dragon. Despise not the Seal, because of the freeness of the Gift; but for this rather honor thy Benefactor.

Reference: J.W. Drijvers, Cyril of Jerusalem: Bishop and City, (Brill, 2004).

More to come

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Barbara wrote:

Was the quotation by St John Chrysostom referenced already here >
would like to read what he said about devils laughing at poorly made Signs of the Cross.
Thanks ---

Yeah. It was. Go back to the first page and see my quote. I found it in the Jordanville prayer book.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:
Maria wrote:

In another thread, there is a discussion of the correct way to make the Sign of the Cross.

Having been taught how to make the Sign of the Cross in two traditions (Russian and Greek), I vacillate between both traditions.

The Greek way, to bow down, touch the ground, and then make the Sign of the Cross while rising, was taught to me by Greek Orthodox Priests. As one rises, the Sign of the Cross is made over the entire body, blessing it in service of the Lord.

The Russian way seems to be: bow down, touch the ground, stiffen up straight, then make the Sign of the Cross. Repeat three times quickly in succession.

I've only seen that it was always cross first, touch ground after or half bow. Also, with a prostration, it is always cross first, then prostrate. What I do see is that Greeks/Russians touch the ground first, cross themselves (in an upright position) and then kiss the Holy Cross, at the end of Liturgy. That's the only time I see the ground first and crossing after. But, it should always be upright (not necessarily stiff).

But, when it is for the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross or Big Friday, for example, it's still cross first and prostrate after. This done twice, then venerate, then cross and prostrate once afterwards. This is also done for veneration of icons and relics.

And it should never be done quickly. Who advised doing it quickly? Three times depends on the occasion.

I checked my Jordanville prayer book and in the section: How One Should Pray In Church, it is described as cross first, bow after. There is also a quote from St. John Chrysostom: The demons rejoice at these mad gestures."

The reference is to the following comment: Of those who sign themselves with all five fingers, or who bow before finishing the Cross, or simply wave their hand in the air or before their breast...

Also, it is instructed: On the other hand, the sign of the Cross, properly made with faith and reverence, terrifies the demons, calms sinful passions and calls down divine grace.

When I went online and searched, I found this article from an ROCOR church website that included the quote from St. John Chrysostom. However, there was no reference provided so that his complete quote could be read in context.

• Of those who make sign themselves incorrectly or bow before finishing the Cross, Saint John Chrysostom says: “The demons rejoice at these mad gestures.” On the other hand, the sign of the Cross made properly with faith and reverence, terrifies the demons, calms sinful passions, and calls down divine grace.

http://www.english.holyvirginprotection ... rules.html

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

On the other hand, the sign of the Cross made properly with faith and reverence, terrifies the demons, calms sinful passions, and calls down divine grace.

That's in my prayer book too (exact wording), but I was just focusing on the negative aspect which supports the fact that the Cross should be made correctly.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)