The Lesna Monastery needs a new furnace!...

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

chadrook

The Lesna Monastery needs a new furnace!...

Post by chadrook »

"Our monastery is the oldest and one of the largest Russian Orthodox monasteries in Europe. The Lesna Monastery was founded in Russia in 1885 as the first womens' missionary community in Russia. World War I, the Bolshevik revolution and subsequent persecution of religion forced our sisters to evacuate to St. Petersburg, Moldavia, Serbia, and finally to France in 1950. By the prayers of St. John of Shanghai we were able to purchase an old château in 1967, which we struggle to maintain as a center of prayer and refuge for all Orthodox Christians. Our current furnace was installed in 1985, and we are in dire need of a more cost-effective and ecologically sound system, that will make it possible to direct the huge amount of money that we spend on heating towards more important and worthwhile causes."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The Lesna Monastery needs a new furnace!...

Post by Maria »

Lord have mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Dcn.Ephrem
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by Dcn.Ephrem »

Will the mothers be setting up some sort of way where people could donate towards this cause?

Fr. Deacon Ephrem Cummings
Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That is a very nice idea, Fr Dcn Ephrem.

I REALLY sympathize with them, having a 70s furnace assessed to be 40 % efficient. Not too good.
Means most of the energy cost goes out the chimney.

I can hardly imagine how expensive it would be to heat a CHATEAU !!
I was just looking at an article on restorations made at the Chateau de Fontainebleau outside Paris.
The picture showed how thick those walls are. Surely the damp was well settled in during all the ages !

So I can guess what the poor nuns must be facing. Especially with older Mothers who
really need the warmth to alleviate the chill in their bones.

Too cold of a chateau could discourage new vocations, too.

chadrook

Post by chadrook »

Sorry, forgot the link.

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

Dear friends, I had been meaning to post about this, but I wasn't sure what the policy was on asking for donations here, and then Joanne kindly pointed out that someone else had already posted something. The link is for a fundraising site, and you can donate via paypal on it. Every bit of help is appreciated. Since the union and our departure from ROCOR we have been entirely dependent upon our own resources, and though we manage with the day to day things, anything extra is a struggle. Needless to say, the parishioners that stayed with us are not the wealthier new Russians. We have about 300 parishioners scattered throughout Europe at this point, and they help us enormously, we couldn't do it without them. But a new furnace is nevertheless a daunting project. Our "chateau" is nowhere near as large as Versailles or Fontainbleu! It's a small one. Perhaps "manor house" would be more accurate. There are 4 floors (the attic was converted into extra cells), about 30 rooms, and the winter chapel, kitchen, trapeza (refectory), prosphora bakery and sacristy are all in this building. It's beautiful, but very old and drafty, and very difficult to heat. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Of course, you can send lists of names for commemoration at the Liturgies and at molebens before the miracle working Lesna Icon. Thank you, everybody!

I would post some photos, but I'm having trouble doing that here! You can see some on the monastery site: http://www.monasterelesna.org, or on the fundraising site:

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Wonderful to hear from you, Mother Evfrosiniya.
I was worried that we hadn't heard from you for awhile.

There must be many, many day to day problems you have to face. Not just the heating costs.
So I am sure you at times don't have too much time for the internet.

But you can be sure we are ALL sympathetic, here, and supportive.
Feel free to ask any time - no need to hesitate.

Lesna Convent is holding up the True Orthodox banner for all of Europe, after all !

It's a GREAT thing that you all made the incredibly brave decision to leave a more secure life had
you reluctantly stayed on with Rocor Mp, as the Kentlyn Convent in Australia did. Not sure whether they
considered leaving, but they ultimately did stay.

I believe God will reward you all. Meanwhile, I am trying to spread the word about this fund for your new furnace.
I haven't looked at the link yet. I better do so, first !