Are the anathemas hateful condemnations?

Discuss the Canons of the Orthodox Church and the Anathemas, especially those against various heresies that have arisen since the beginning of Christ's Holy Orthodox Church. All Forum Rules Apply. No Polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Are the anathemas hateful condemnations?

Post by Maria »

Russia 1914 Sunday of Orthodoxy

• The Triumph of Orthodoxy
    I. A. von Gardner

Were those anathemas, as many suppose, condemnations? No. In a condemnation there is hatred, and a desire for revenge and destruction. Here, though, is what was being clearly confessed: The Church did not condemn, but simply separated from its midst those who did not see themselves as belonging to it, those who refused to accept its teachings. Those who do not believe as the Church teaches, are separated from it, are alien to it, are "anathema," "set aside," but they can always be received again, should they recognize their error and return to Orthodox teachings. It is not so much that the Church separates them from itself, as that they themselves had set themselves apart from the Church, and now the Church solemnly announces that fact.

For the complete article, please visit: http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/feasts/ ... oxy_09.htm

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

arcmode
Faith: Nazarene
Jurisdiction: ROCA

Re: Are the anathemas hateful condemnations?

Post by arcmode »

A good sermon on what the word 'Anathema' means, by Saint John Maximovitch:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/anathema.aspx

Do not be shocked by those who teach new doctrines but seem to be worthy of credence. Stand solidly like an anvil under blows. A good athlete suffers blows but wins. St Ignatius.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

No. Anathemas are merely a declaration of what the person in question has already done to himself--separation from the Church through adopting heresy or refusing to repent for a sin. As such, the Mysteries cannot be administered to them until they repent and come back. The Church always leaves this option open.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

Anathema and condemnation seem to be a distinction without a difference. In the New Testament, the word "anathema" means accursed. If that isn't condemnatory, I don't know what is. Being cast out of the Church and consigned to the devil (anathema) sounds condemning to me.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

JamesR wrote:

No. Anathemas are merely a declaration of what the person in question has already done to himself--separation from the Church through adopting heresy or refusing to repent for a sin. As such, the Mysteries cannot be administered to them until they repent and come back. The Church always leaves this option open.

TedMann wrote:

Anathema and condemnation seem to be a distinction without a difference. In the New Testament, the word "anathema" means accursed. If that isn't condemnatory, I don't know what is. Being cast out of the Church and consigned to the devil (anathema) sounds condemning to me.

I think James is referring to the fact that people who fall under an anathema are adopting a heresy wilfully and with full knowledge. Sometimes it takes an act of excommunication for a person to realize their dire situation, that unless they repent, they cannot receive any of the sacraments in the Holy Church.

In the Roman Catholic Church, people are rarely excommunicated, so that they continue in their errors. This is why this church is falling apart before our very eyes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

That's true. I have known Roman Catholics who don't even believe in some of their own teaching but are permitted to attend church and commune.