Did the Early Church have "Super Apostles"?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Matthew
Protoposter

Did the Early Church have "Super Apostles"?

Post by Matthew »

Which do you think is best? The Super Apostles version seems to be suggesting the Apostle is being snarky or mocking, the more serious ones like King James or Darby maintain a respectful and serious tone. Which spin do you think actually reflects the apostles heart and disposition in the writing of Holy Spirit inspired and inerrant Scripture? I thought it funny when I first read it, but if you look at the whole passage, it kind of makes sense.

2 Corinthians 11:5 Dormition Skete Translation (Orthodox New Testament)
I reckon to have come behind in nothing of the exceedingly super apostles.

The NIV translates it as:
I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.”

The King James translates it as:
For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.

The JN Darby Translation:
For I reckon that in nothing I am behind those who are in surpassing degree apostles.

The New American Standard
For I consider myself not in the least inferior to the [c]most eminent apostles.
The footnote "C" notes: 2 Corinthians 11:5 Or super-apostles

arcmode
Faith: Nazarene
Jurisdiction: ROCA

Re: Did the Early Church have "Super Apostles"?

Post by arcmode »

I prefer the King James version, but it's always been my favorite.

My question is - is it possible to exceed superness? Isn't super pretty much as exceeding as it gets? In the dictionary super means excessive. I don't know why they need to use so many words. The KJV always seems to be the simplest, most direct version, and to me just feels right. New translations try too hard.

Anyway, I would rather read a bible approved by a English King four centuries dead than one approved by the current Ecumenical Patriarch :)

Do not be shocked by those who teach new doctrines but seem to be worthy of credence. Stand solidly like an anvil under blows. A good athlete suffers blows but wins. St Ignatius.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I, too, prefer to side with the King Jimmy.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

The King James version is the only one that is the closest to proper language. The rest are useless. They are photocopies of photocopies.

The Greek word is υπερλίαν. No equivalent word for that. It must imply something of great stature.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I think that's what the translators wanted to convey by "super": St Paul is talking about the chief apostles (the Twelve, I suppose, or maybe just the most successful or boldest of the apostles).

I agree that "super-" strikes me as very informal and not appropriate to a Bible translation, which should adopt a more formal style. There is also definitely for me a connotation of mockery which is not there in the KJV. The question is, was there a connotation of mockery in the KJV term "chiefest apostles" (or in the original Greek?). Sarcasm seems out of place in St Paul's letters; I don't recall him using it otherwise. There IS sarcasm in the Bible (see the way Prophet Elias mocked the priests of Baal), but I don't recall seeing it in the epistles. Others may know better, however.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

jgress wrote:

I think that's what the translators wanted to convey by "super": St Paul is talking about the chief apostles (the Twelve, I suppose, or maybe just the most successful or boldest of the apostles).

I agree that "super-" strikes me as very informal and not appropriate to a Bible translation, which should adopt a more formal style. There is also definitely for me a connotation of mockery which is not there in the KJV. The question is, was there a connotation of mockery in the KJV term "chiefest apostles" (or in the original Greek?). Sarcasm seems out of place in St Paul's letters; I don't recall him using it otherwise. There IS sarcasm in the Bible (see the way Prophet Elias mocked the priests of Baal), but I don't recall seeing it in the epistles. Others may know better, however.

Jgress,

Here are my two cents. I think Saint Paul in Galatians 5:12 use a sort of sarcasm towards the Galatians on the matter of circumcision. See the four versions below. In my opinion, the French Jerusalem Bible and New Revised Standard Version are the best.

English: King James VersionGalatians 5

1. I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

French Jerusalem Bible
Qu'ils aillent jusqu'à la mutilation, ceux qui bouleversent vos âmes !

English: Douay-Rheims
I would they were even cut off, who trouble you.

English: New Revised Standard Version
I wish those who unsettle you would castrate themselves!

Nadir

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32