Tattoos

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Tattoos

Post by jgress »

I can't find anything in the Rudder. Honestly, I would be surprised if any canon refers to tattoos, since most canons were promulgated long ago, before these kinds of customs arose. E.g. I also can't find any canons referring to smoking.

Since our bodies are to be treated as temples, it makes sense that we shouldn't defile them by smoking, or deface them with piercings or tattoos. I think it's a matter of Christian conscience, rather than strict application of canons.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

maximus wrote:

Does anyone have a link relating to canons regarding this?

maximus,

The canons do not mention about tattoos; but then you have the Holy Scriptures.
Here are two references from Leviticus 19:28; 21:5; and one from Deut 14:1

Leviticus 19:27-28:

27] Nor shall you cut your hair roundwise: nor shave your beard. [28] You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord. [DRB]

Vous ne vous ferez pas d'incisions dans le corps pour un mort et vous ne vous ferez pas de tatouage. Je suis Yahvé. [French Jerusalem Bible]

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. [English: King James Version]

You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. [English: New American Standard Bible]

Leviticus 21:4-5:
They shall not make any baldness on their heads, nor shave off the edges of their beards, nor make any cuts in their flesh. [ English: New American Standard Bible]

They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh. [English: King James Version]

Neither shall they shave their head, nor their beard, nor make incisions in their flesh. [English: Douay-Rheims]

Deuteronomy 14:1:
"You are the sons of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave your forehead for the sake of the dead. [ English: New American Standard Bible]

Ye are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead. [English: King James Version]

Be ye children of the Lord your God: you shall not cut yourselves, no, make any baldness for the dead; [English: Douay-Rheims]

Vous êtes des fils pour Yahvé votre Dieu. Vous ne vous ferez pas d'incision ni de tonsure sur le front pour un mort. [French Jerusalem Bible]

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

TedMann

Post by TedMann »

Tattoos pollute the body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit. They also reinforce the passion of vain glory.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Historically speaking, tattoos tends to disappear in christian societies. The case of copts is different because they tattoo a cross in order to be identified as christians so thatin cas of death in an unknown place, they will receive a christian funeral. Our society being post-christian, tattoos are popular. I am always surprised to see how many people are tattoed when summer is back and everybody exhibits his/her body with tattoes.

A fact is also that at 30 y.o many people will regret this; but removing them is expensive, painful and may not succeed. Personally, if my fiancée gets a tattoo, I leave her.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Personally, if my fiancée gets a tattoo, I leave her.

Lord have mercy. You might start a thread in the Prayer Life Forum for her so that we can pray for her.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Nadir GP wrote really well ; I agree with TedMann too.

I don't see any correlation between Christianity and pagans at all.
It's true that many tribes of various beliefs throughout the world use some kind of henna.
But not THIS type with the ink, as far as I know.

Nomads and various peoples tend to regard some bluish imprint on the FACE as beauty-enhancing.
But not EVER anywhere else !
One does not see ankles or wrists covered with creepy insignias, nor any markings at all.

I see this as a God versus Devil topic ! Such is evident in the Scripture that Nadir brought up.

Fundamentally, Nadir is ALSO correct in diagnosing a lack of personality ; a follower of the roaming crowd
is the only type which would go for this UGLY mutilation.

People are insecure HAVE TO copy others.

Thus we know that any fiancee would not prove suitable if she were even remotely interested in this sick pursuit !

Jean Serge is RIGHT ; don't even pursue any commitment to such a weak, malleable person.

I will add that for sure, then, that individual is SHAMMING belief in Orthodox Christianity just to worm his or her
way into one's life.
Huge maroon flag that this is most likely a sociopath or at least a narcissist capable of putting on act long enough
to get married and snare their target. Follows : 15-30 years of misery....
Opt out now !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

We need to pray for Jean-Serge and his fiancée, so that she will be saved.
He is demonstrating what God expects us to do by praying and trying to convince her to do what is right.

Lord have mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.