Tattoos

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Tattoos

Post by jgress »

I think SolarFlare should provide some citations for the assertions that tattoos are demonic.

SolarFlare

Post by SolarFlare »

jgress wrote:

I think SolarFlare should provide some citations for the assertions that tattoos are demonic.

May God help you. Who's citation would you accept? I don't think the saints discussed the issue, because such an impious action was not even conceived of in a God-fearing Orthodox culture. Tattoos originated in pagan culture. Do what Jesus and the apostles did. Do you believe they had tattoos? Do you believe they would ever have tattoos? If not, why not? Listen to your conscience. We are to follow the saints. Which saint ever had a tattoo? Your attitude reflects the culture that formed your soul. You and I were born and raised in the impious era of the new world order. All of our lives we have been bombarded with anti-christian attitudes, philosophies and concepts. Look at tattoos from God's perspective, not from the perspective of the zeitgeist and fallen man.

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Well, I don't think there is concrete evidence that tattoos originated in pagan times.
WHICH pagans ? I think it's a broad assumption made by all but not questioned.

There could be Christian tribes in Ethiopia who wear tattoos of some sort because
it's traditional there. Bedouin tribes of Arabia and many others such as Touaregs can sport a particular pattern of blue marks on the face, which
have nothing to do with today's Western fad.
I think those are made with a flower or herb dye. It's not remotely the same branding phenomenon as described so forcefully in the
article posted by Nadir. The intent is different : nothing like the reasons given
by the Royal Society of Psychiatrists quoted in the article postulating rebellious or unstable or immature youth of today.

I bet there is not yet a complete history written which is able to demonstrate conclusively where the marks derived. Pagan or not, it was probably
universal in earlier ages, and thus included Christian tribes. Though I cannot provide evidence for this, I think we should not
just dismiss it as "a Pagan custom".

Can it be proved that modern-day witches, pagans, etc are more likely to sport tattoos than the average population ?
I don't know the answer, but I assume this contemporary style of tattoo has nothing to do with a belief in that horrible
wicca, or any such awful thing. It's due to a lot of insecure people living in Western countries, brought up badly or with no parental help at all,
thus having no anchor inside themselves. Instead, they compulsively seek weirder and weirder externalities in order to impress other humans.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

I got a tattoo for my 18th birthday a few days ago (2/18). It's a Cross on the right-wrist (like the Copts) with an IC XC NIKA. Is this acceptable by the Church or should I have not gotten it?

First image, immediately after receiving the tattoo. The skin is very enflamed and irritated.
The next day, it now looks a little better

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

JamesR wrote:

Is this acceptable by the Church or should I have not gotten it?]

Generally, you ask this question first before deciding to take the action or not, rather than take the action and then ask the question to know if it was OK. Add to this that many orthodox forums deal with the topic... So your behaviour might show some immaturity.or simply that you're playing wit us with this question.

My advice is simple, laser removal ASAP. It may be also a real problem if you want to date a pious orthodox girl; seeing the tattoo won't have the best effect on her. If it had been another type of tattoo, she could have thought that you had a past unorthodox life and later converted, but seeing it is a cross, she might very well think you're simply so little orthodox that you got tattoo.

Also note that Coptics have such taTtos because if they used to die in a place where they were not known, the persons could identify them as Christians and give them a christian burial rather a muslim one. As simple... In orthodoxy and christians cultures, tattoos never existed. Christianism came, tattos disappeared. Tattoo is more about non-christian societies, which is our current society.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Generally, you ask this question first before deciding to take the action or not, rather than take the action and then ask the question to know if it was OK. Add to this that many orthodox forums deal with the topic... So your behaviour might show some immaturity.or simply that you're playing wit us with this question.

My advice is simple, laser removal ASAP. It may be also a real problem if you want to date a pious orthodox girl; seeing the tattoo won't have the best effect on her. If it had been another type of tattoo, she could have thought that you had a past unorthodox life and later converted, but seeing it is a cross, she might very well think you're simply so little orthodox that you got tattoo.

Also note that Coptics have such taTtos because if they used to die in a place where they were not known, the persons could identify them as Christians and give them a christian burial rather a muslim one. As simple... In orthodoxy and christians cultures, tattoos never existed. Christianism came, tattos disappeared. Tattoo is more about non-christian societies, which is our current society.

I thought I saw an article on the dangers of tattoos, that they contain toxins, and that it is best to remove them asap. There is also the risk of infection.
The Coptic cross is very small (1/4 inch). Yours is too big.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Jean-Serge wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Excellent points.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)