Tattoos

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
maximus
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Re: Tattoos

Post by maximus »

I have been curious about this myself. In my heart, my conscience tells me it is a sin to tattoo or pierce my body.

I have asked others about this. My priest apparently told my fiancée (who is being tempted into getting tattoos) that there is no canonical restrictions on laymen. Only clergy. Likewise, my godfather explained to me that there was no canonical or official stance from the Church as a whole, thus making it an issue of one's conscience.

It does not seem right to me. As I have explained to my fiancée, it is like spray-painting graffiti on a temple. And while the cleanliness of the inside of the "cup" should be prioritized first, it does not seem a light thing to disregard the outside as well.

Any thoughts?

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

maximus wrote:

I have been curious about this myself. In my heart, my conscience tells me it is a sin to tattoo or pierce my body.

I have asked others about this. My priest apparently told my fiancée (who is being tempted into getting tattoos) that there is no canonical restrictions on laymen. Only clergy. Likewise, my godfather explained to me that there was no canonical or official stance from the Church as a whole, thus making it an issue of one's conscience.

It does not seem right to me. As I have explained to my fiancée, it is like spray-painting graffiti on a temple. And while the cleanliness of the inside of the "cup" should be prioritized first, it does not seem a light thing to disregard the outside as well.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, Maximus!

I hope your fiancée will listen to you.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

maximus

Post by maximus »

Good morning Maria. I used to post here as "stephendaniel". I took the name of Maximus a year ago, at my baptism.

It is wonderful to see your many posts.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

maximus wrote:

Good morning Maria. I used to post here as "stephendaniel". I took the name of Maximus a year ago, at my baptism.

It is wonderful to see your many posts.

Many years, Maximus!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

maximus wrote:

Any thoughts?

Anyone, who is in doubt about to have or not to have a tattoo on his/her body, the following questions I would ask:

Why do you what a tattoo? Is it because you want to imitate what other people do, or because you have seen them doing it on the TV?
In my opinion, most people who have tattoos on themselves have a personality and identity problem.

Here it is: Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

maximus wrote:

Any thoughts?

Hi Maximus,

From what I've read, and I don't have the sources now, tattooing is a pagan tradition. So Christians should not imitate pagans. I don't think this priest is being honest or he's an ecumenist. Tattooing is definitely forbidden in the Christian faith. I wouldn't trust this priest if he approves of this. And I'm sure there is a canon against tattooing for laymen. It's pagan.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

maximus

Post by maximus »

Does anyone have a link relating to canons regarding this?