French fries and donuts may contain silly putty?

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

French fries and donuts may contain silly putty?

Post by Maria »

• Did you know that the same chemical used to make Silly Putty, called dimethylpolysiloxane is in the majority of fast food french fries, fish sandwiches, and chicken nuggets? It’s a silicone byproduct that prevents the (hydrogenated, toxic, pro-inflammatory soybean) oil from foaming so they can reuse it more often.

It’s also the same stuff they use to seal aquariums, and is used in silicone-based lubricants, silicone caulks, and adhesives.

And it’s been FDA approved since 1998. It is a totally regulated ingredient throughout Europe. Hmm…

Link: http://thewholejourney.com/food-politic ... 339bc0942c

Just a little stretch! By the way, doesn't silly putty stretch and bounce?

Last edited by Maria on Thu 7 November 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correcting a misspelling in the title. Thanks, Barbara.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

arcmode
Faith: Nazarene
Jurisdiction: ROCA

Re: French fries and donuts may contain silly puddy?

Post by arcmode »

This would probably be more nutritious.

Do not be shocked by those who teach new doctrines but seem to be worthy of credence. Stand solidly like an anvil under blows. A good athlete suffers blows but wins. St Ignatius.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: French fries and donuts may contain silly puddy?

Post by Barbara »

I was getting ready to put some silicone caulk before winter ! To thinnk that
I could use Mc Donalds French fries instead !!!

Maria, you mean "Silly PuTTy" in the Subject line of thread.\
I well remember that as a child. It along with
an Etch-a-Sketch was about the only toy in which I remotely felt interest.
Also a Yo Yo I guess. That's it.
I hated dolls particularly.

Anyway, this is just truly amazing.
I knew already about the lard which is rancid for all these deep fried foods.
I have never gone near any of 'em as a result. Plus unnatural, too many additives.

But YES ! Silly Putty DOES bounce. It used to come in that little egg plastic container, remember ?
I wonder if they still sell it, and if so, like that.
Imagine having THAT clogging one's liver ! Or gall bladder !

Those who eat donuts and French fries better add Silly Putty Thinner to their diet quickly while waiting
to drop the entire genre of food ! Vinegar would do wonders in this role.
Try Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar if you can't find Spectrum Naturals or other nicer brands
without the Protestant slant of sayings on the label. I always immediately soak the label off for that reason.
Also the name Bragg is not good for a sincere Orthodox seeker : sounds boastful !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

FDA might eliminate artificial trans fats

Post by Maria »

And now this news from NYTimes:

• The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday proposed measures that would all but eliminate artificial trans fats, the artery clogging substance that is a major contributor to heart disease in the United States, from the food supply.
    He [ Dr. Thomas R. Frieden] noted that artificial trans fats are required to be on the label only if there is more than half a gram per serving, a trace amount that can add up fast and lead to increased risk of heart attack. Even as little as two or three grams of trans fat a day can increase the health risk, scientists say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/healt ... .html?_r=2&

In the opening post (OP) of this thread, I quoted:

It’s a silicone byproduct that prevents the (hydrogenated, toxic, pro-inflammatory soybean) oil from foaming so they can reuse it more often.

If this silicone byproduct is used to prevent hydrogenated soybean oil from foaming, will its use decline with this proposed FDA ban?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Re: French fries and donuts may contain silly putty?

Post by JamesR »

Ironic you post this; I ate McDonalds last night--something I haven't done in almost a year. Salty goodness. Too bad it's horrendous to my health. The question of my youth still remains true "why does everything that taste good have to be bad for you?" The only healthy snack I enjoy is blueberries and they are rather expensive.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)