Something to understand about the Priesthood

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Something to understand about the Priesthood

Post by Maria »

http://goodguyswearblack.org/2014/01/06 ... riesthood/

• Love your priests and bishops, just as they love you. ...

The life of your priest can be greatly extended if you don’t allow him to work himself to death. Make sure he does take at least one day off. Tell him to turn off his cell phone on those days. Call the rectory before knocking at the door. You have no idea how many priests evenings with their families are derailed with a knock at the door.

Yes, this post is from a member of World Orthodoxy, but Bishop Sergios of Portland delivered a sermon almost verbatim in 2013.

It is important to respect our bishops and priests, so that they do not leave the ministry either through death, illness, or burn-out.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Something to understand about the Priesthood

Post by Barbara »

This was a moving article !
[ I have read others by the same author which did not impress me, but this one hit the mark exactly. ]

I think it should be copied and posted on the trapeza bulletin board of all Orthodox parishes.

Particularly striking was the example given of canceled airplane tickets at the last minute by a priest who
was needed to perform some service. There aren't any refunds really these days so near the departure time,
are there ? Even if the inconvenience of having to cancel a trip were not enough problem to face.

Excellent material to make us all appreciate our priests and Bishops.

I bet many newcomers from the old Soviet Union don't have the manners or knowledge to think to
give their priest or Bishop a gift at these special Feast Days or especially too on their namesdays.
These parishioners need to be taught such good manners and thoughtful behavior toward clergy.