Sad news from the Lesna monastery

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Sad news from the Lesna monastery

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

We ask your holy prayers for the repose of the soul of our sister, the nun Paraskeva (Koralientchuk), who departed to the Lord this evening, during Matins, when we rang for "Truly it is Meet". She received Holy Communion this morning and was fully conscious. M. Paraskeva was almost 95 years old and struggled in the monastic life for more than 70 years. She is the last of our nuns from Khopovo, the monastery in Serbia where the Lesna sisters lived before they came to France in 1950. It's very much the end of an era for us.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Sad news from the Lesna monastery

Post by Maria »

May her memory be eternal.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Please share a little of her life to edify the members here.

Were there any events in her life that were outstanding?

That she fell asleep in the Lord as the bells were ringing was eventful.
May the Theotokos be her comfort for all eternity!

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

I will put together a short biography tomorrow, it's after 2 AM now. She had quite an amazing life. She came to Hopovo in her late teens over 70 years ago, and survived the war there and was present when the communist partisans tried to kill the sisters. They were saved on the feast of the Protection through a miracle of the Mother of God. Then there were the Allied bombings of Belgrade, a narrow escape from being deported to the USSR, and the difficult early years in France.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

m. Evfrosinia wrote:

I will put together a short biography tomorrow, it's after 2 AM now. She had quite an amazing life. She came to Hopovo in her late teens over 70 years ago, and survived the war there and was present when the communist partisans tried to kill the sisters. They were saved on the feast of the Protection through a miracle of the Mother of God. Then there were the Allied bombings of Belgrade, a narrow escape from being deported to the USSR, and the difficult early years in France.

Most Holy Theotokos, save and protect those who honor thee!

searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Post by searn77 »

Memory eternal!

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Memory Eternal.

Please, Mother Evfrosinia, DO write up that short bio of Mother Paraskevi. It sounds jaw-dropping just
from the summary you gave !

We would all like to hear about any details you care to unfold. The miraculous rescue sounds amazing.
But all will be interesting for us

We do sympathize with you in the closing of that door to the past era of Lesna with her repose.
She must have been quite a "living link". I hope she was able to pass on all the memories for all of you
to carry to the future.