Theophany traditions

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Alexander Kuzmin

Theophany traditions

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

How old is Greek tradition on Theophany to throw Holy Cross into water and to make a competition to get it? In Russia we never do it. But in Russia people have another tradition that looks strange too. To jump in the water with ice and frost. Many pictures:
http://russkij-sever.livejournal.com/1808038.html

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Theophany traditions

Post by Maria »

Ah, the Polar Bears!

In a few northern countries, some folks have started the Polar Bear Club whose members pass initiation by jumping into freezing water or a hole cut through the ice on January 1 as a way of welcoming the New Year. Could this have been done to distance themselves from the Feast of the Holy Theophany?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

xenondrum
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Theophany traditions

Post by xenondrum »

Those pictures remind me of my childhood up north, where we had snow and arctic storms blow through.

I did not know about Orthodoxy until much later. The little we heard was that Orthodoxy was closed to outsiders, and we never saw any Theophany traditions observed in my city.