Humility in monasticism

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: How to Greet a Monk or Nun

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Amen, Maria. That is also why the whole historic Church has always condemned very sternly the pagan body-negating and body-denigrating practise of cremation. Rather the body is to participate in eternal redemption and that so-called dust to which we will be TEMPORARILY returned to will be raised in an INCORRUPT and ETERNAL and GLORIFIED state! SolarFlare needs to humble himself and admit that while what he says is partly true, it is very misleading and erroneous because it is NOT the whole truth, and as such has brought him to some very problematic and wrong attitudes about the physical body. Also, in my experience about monastic zeal, it is dangerous and prideful in fact to declare how much one wants to denigrate oneself in a human effort to imitate humility by performing acts of humiliation. If you really want to develop humility and not merely a reputation for it then start with the far more difficult and honest task of simply not standing out, boldly and freely declaring your opinions, and so forth. Being quiet, very slow to speak, and tempering your words with self-mistrust and asking for the wisdom of others is better. But to declare that one will rush to be insulted, and trodden underfoot and seek epic billboard humiliations, well that is already walking hurriedly down a road away from the very humble heartedness you proclaim yourself to be seeking.

Well written, Symeon.

Glad to see that you have returned. I have missed your inspirational posts like this one.
If we had a Post of the Month award, you would be in the running.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Alexander Kuzmin

Re: Humility in monasticism

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

SolarFlare wrote:

A monk should not be concerned about how people address him.
When I become a monk, I want you to walk on me as if I were dirt. And don't call me "Father," or "Brother." Call me sinner or Mr. Dirt, or Mr. wretch.

I think a monk should not care how people call him: a monk, a brother, or Mr. Dirt. He will let them call him as they are used to.
Being too humble is not very humble :-)

And just a nice picture: Catacomb nun Xenia teaches hieromonk Martinian to use the spinning-wheel.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Alexander Kuzmin

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

^ That's an amazing picture ! I really like it. Very realistic, and photographically excellent because
the subjects are not posing but clearly absorbed in the lessons being given, thus teaching a lesson to all viewers
about humility, as said above !

Icxypion's post is admirable, too. I copied part of it to pass along as advice for someone.
Important !

As for Solar Flare, he isn't here, but we don't want to discourage him, either.
Better to err on that side than the other way of being puffed up with self-absorption the way
most modern people are living in the Western world these days. It's good that he even sees that
perspective of being lowly.

Alexander Kuzmin

Yes, I posted this picture because I think it is about humility.