Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missions

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mark Templet

Re: Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missi

Post by Mark Templet »

The birthing pool gives me no problems, as long as you fill it to the line indicated. I haven't had it overflow yet either. I'm not saying it's the only way, just that I am very pleased with it.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Maria wrote:

When using birthing pools or horse troughs, unless one is hopelessly obese, one can sit, bend over, and be fully submerged. They are deep enough.

Ok, you bend over but how do you recover your initial position. You bend other backwards? This means you lose contact with the ground and no longer stands. Not very comfortable. In my case, it was in the sea and since I can't swin, it was really unconfortable. I experienced the same : you try to bend your knees, the water resists. We had to made many tries, to find the good position for me...

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:
Maria wrote:

When using birthing pools or horse troughs, unless one is hopelessly obese, one can sit, bend over, and be fully submerged. They are deep enough.

Ok, you bend over but how do you recover your initial position. You bend other backwards? This means you lose contact with the ground and no longer stands. Not very comfortable. In my case, it was in the sea and since I can't swin, it was really unconfortable. I experienced the same : you try to bend your knees, the water resists. We had to made many tries, to find the good position for me...

There were pictures of a baptism at Mt. Athos. The candidate stepped down onto cement steps that led into the sea where the baptism obviously occurred at high tide. I did not see any ropes, but the priest seemed to hold onto the candidate very securely, so it helps if the candidate has some hair on his head for the priest to grasp.

Did the priest stay in a rowboat while you were in the sea?

I have seen horse troughs used where the person kneels down into the trough, then he/she makes a prostration into the water as the priest baptizes, "The Servant of God, [Name], is baptized in the name of the Father", then the candidate rises up to a kneeling position and makes a prostration in the water a second time as the priest continues, "and the Son," and then, the candidate rises up to a kneeling position, and makes a third prostration as the priest states, "and the Holy Spirit." Finally, the newly baptized rises from the kneeling position and then steps out of the baptismal font.

Father Mark, is this the way you baptize when using the birthing pool? Does the person kneel or sit?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

The priest was in the water with me; he was pushing me down, I think.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

They kneel and push forward. I tell them that my hand will gently push them until they are immersed, then I let go and they can come back up.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I was baptised in a metal barrel; a drum. May 1, 1994, Pascha. I'm 5"8, but I seemed to fit just fine. I just had to crouch down. I got in with a step ladder, but I don't remember how I got out in reverse. I was quite preoccupied. I think my guardian angel helped me.

Attachments
mobile_009.jpg
mobile_009.jpg (72.28 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
Last edited by joasia on Fri 21 February 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

I was baptised in a metal barrel; a drum. May 1, 1994, Pascha.

Wow. That looked like a very tight fit!

How did you get out of it?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.