Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missions

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missions

Post by Maria »

For new missions, a professionally built baptismal font can be very expensive and not really feasible if the mission is planning to build a new church in the future at a different location.

Fr. Mark mentioned in another thread that he has been using an inflatable birth pool that quickly inflates.

Having an inflatable birth pool with strong sides would be a blessing, and this is much better than using a baby's play pool as do many World Orthodox jurisdictions. Also these inflatable birth pools are much safer than using a recycled city garbage bin where a person must climb up a ladder and could slip in the process of getting into the bin or climbing out of it.

Incidentally, I was baptized in a newly refurbished city garbage bin. It was very distracting and awkward. A horse trough would have been much better. I have seen baptisms where the horse trough had a white cotton eyelet curtain around it so that it was very presentable, but at the same deep enough for the adult to be completely submerged. In addition, only a small step stool was needed for the newly baptized to enter and exit the baptismal font.

Some of the inflatable birth pools offered below can be used up to 30 times (with a hygienic one time use liner), and they look good, but the price is rather steep (over $300.00). Below is a chart with price comparisons:
http://www.waterbirthsolutions.com/Infl ... _IEPA.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Mark Templet

Re: Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missi

Post by Mark Templet »

Yes, birthing pools are not the cheapest option, however they have several advantages: they are completely functional for full immersion, afterward they are easily cleaned, they can be stored easier than other options, and they are very robust.

I have used mine for going on 7 years now with only the need for minor repairs (couple of patches). I don't see why it won't last me many more years. And when it goes, I will buy another one.

Plus, I like the idea of being reborn in something specifically meant for birth in water.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

My priest bought a collapsible font. The outside is made of wood planks (vertically) which are attached to some kind of hinges. Then there's a plastic inner lining that fits snug. It can be folded and kept in it's original package.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Recycle bins, Maria ? I hadn't come across THAT !

Fr Mark's comment was a propos about being reborn in a place meant for birth in water. Clever !
Makes one really think.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Recycle bins, Maria ? I hadn't come across THAT !

Fr Mark's comment was a propos about being reborn in a place meant for birth in water. Clever !
Makes one really think.

Yes, those huge black household garbage bins, blue recycling bins, and green bins for vegetation (tree trimmings, plant clippings, cut grass, and "weeds") can be found in certain hardware stores for commercial use. Let me tell you from personal experience that they do not work, that they can be very slippery on the bottom, that the sick and elderly have a very difficult time getting in and out of those bins, and that people could possibly drown in them. For example, what would happen if an obese or overweight individual were to have a medical emergency and could not get out on his own? Those bins are almost five feet tall!

I agree with Father Mark about using the birthing pools for the "second" birth where we are reborn in Christ.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Birthing pools are not deep enough it seems. You cannot get drowned in recycling bins. You simply bend your legs and that is it, you are under water. How can you go under water in a birthing that is not deep? Take also into account that some people cannot swim or may be tall, and the most comfortable solution for them is to be standing and just bending legs to be immerged. I would say the method from Jehovah witness is the best: a big pool and 2 assistants which is reassuring.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Birthing pools are not deep enough it seems. You cannot get drowned in recycling bins. You simply bend your legs and that is it, you are under water. How can you go under water in a birthing that is not deep? Take also into account that some people cannot swim or may be tall, and the most comfortable solution for them is to be standing and just bending legs to be immerged. I would say the method from Jehovah witness is the best: a big pool and 2 assistants which is reassuring.

When using birthing pools or horse troughs, unless one is hopelessly obese, one can sit, bend over, and be fully submerged. They are deep enough.

The recycling bin was very slippery on the bottom. In addition, the step ladder was very difficult to use as the steps were very narrow and extremely slippery. After Holy Baptism, the rails and steps of the step ladder became covered with olive oil. I had great difficulty getting in and climbing out as I am no longer young and limber. This was extremely distracting to me and to others. I am 5'7" so when I bent my legs as instructed, I immediately went into a free-style float, and the bishop had difficulty pushing me under as my body started to turn unpredictably. In addition, water was flowing over the top and onto the floor of the chapel as they had put too much water in the bin. If this had been a horse trough, pressure on my head would have forced my body to the bottom of the trough, allowing me to be fully submerged, and I would neither have floated, nor would I have had to deal with slippery narrow oily steps.