Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missions

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missi

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

I wonder why people wait so long to baptise? Perhaps they are recent converts or had been nominally orthodox and were just negligent and had a renewal or awakening of their faith so that they decided to baptise, though somewhat later than they ought to have done.

Nope.

This child had grandparents, aunts and uncles, and many cousins who lived in Greece. So, the parents waited until they had money saved up for the big day. The air fares costs thousands of dollars as did the food and lodging.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Maria wrote:
Icxypion wrote:

I wonder why people wait so long to baptise? Perhaps they are recent converts or had been nominally orthodox and were just negligent and had a renewal or awakening of their faith so that they decided to baptise, though somewhat later than they ought to have done.

Nope.

This child had grandparents, aunts and uncles, and many cousins who lived in Greece. So, the parents waited until they had money saved up for the big day. The air fares costs thousands of dollars as did the food and lodging.

So much pomp and glory when the only thing that matters is the baptism. People forget the wonder of baptism and focus on the social gathering.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

There are lots of superstitions in Greece surrounding baptism and other aspects of Church life. A good friend of mine at St Markella's told me he wasn't baptized until he was a year old because when he was born there had just been a death in the family and they believed you shouldn't celebrate any baptisms or marriages in the family for a year after that.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

There are lots of superstitions in Greece surrounding baptism and other aspects of Church life. A good friend of mine at St Markella's told me he wasn't baptized until he was a year old because when he was born there had just been a death in the family and they believed you shouldn't celebrate any baptisms or marriages in the family for a year after that.

Yes, my Greek in-laws are very superstitious. They have told me that if my husband dies, then I must stay in the house and not leave it for an entire year and wear black forever (and look like a Catholic nun - black scarf and long black dress). No doctors visits, no church, no shopping even for food, nothing but staying at home.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Maria wrote:
jgress wrote:

Yes, my Greek in-laws are very superstitious. They have told me that if my husband dies, then I must stay in the house and not leave it for an entire year and wear black forever (and look like a Catholic nun - black scarf and long black dress). No doctors visits, no church, no shopping even for food, nothing but staying at home.

Seriously? No church? That part should definitely ring warning bells. I'm sorry you have to deal with that kind of thing.

Alexander Kuzmin

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Hieromonk Seraphim (Rose) (+1982). Baptism in a tar bucket.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Maria wrote:

It looks like the mourning habits of pas century that were almost universal in Europe. The widow would wear black the first year, violet the second year and then the mourning was other. She refrained also from social activities, parties etc. It was less strict for the widower which is understandable because he needed to find a new wife... :mrgreen: Well, there is nothing religious in this. Not evrything that happens in Greece is orthodox.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.