Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missions

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Holy Baptism and temporary Baptismal fonts used in missi

Post by joasia »

Maria wrote:
joasia wrote:

I was baptised in a metal barrel; a drum. May 1, 1994, Pascha.

Wow. That looked like a very tight fit!

How did you get out of it?

I don't remember. You can imagine that I was in the barrel and had to lift my leg above the top of it. Well, I'm pretty tall so I guess I got my leg over the edge and stepped back on the step ladder. But, I don't remember it. I remember getting in. I guess my new guardian angel helped me.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Mark Templet wrote:

They kneel and push forward. I tell them that my hand will gently push them until they are immersed, then I let go and they can come back up.

That's interesting since my priest didn't mention the technicalities. When I went under the third time, I started raising myself up and he gently pushed my head downwards, for a second. He wanted to make sure that all my hair was completely wet. :) I did realize his intensions so I didn't resist.

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

Used the birth pool again yesterday to baptize a man who took the name Jude, worked like a charm.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Glory be to God! A new soul is born. Send my congratulations to him. It's a wonderful feeling being baptised. And right before the Great Lent. It's the best way to start Great Lent.

I think it worked like a miracle more than it worked like a charm.

I do like the method of the birthing pool because a person has to kneel. There's an added emotional factor of repentance in the kneeling position.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I once spoke with an Orthodox Priest who mentioned the difficulties that he was having while trying to baptize a two year old.

Well, you know how stubborn a two year old child can be! Almost as difficult as having to wash a domesticated cat!

When it came time for the baptism, the child would have nothing to do with it. Try as the Priest could to immerse the child, he first clung onto the godparent, and then he grabbed the priest's robe for dear life and would not let go. After spending about 15 minutes soothing and calming a frightened child and with a banquet already being cooked in the parish hall, the Priest had the godparents lean the child's head over the water, and the the Priest poured copious amounts of water over the screaming child's head. To this day, that child hates that Priest!

Probably, in that kind of a situation, with a stubborn two year old, it might have been better to do a rehearsal to see how things would work. After all, a couple getting married has a rehearsal.

Prior to the baptism of my two grandchildren, the relatives practiced with the children to help them not be afraid of the water. In fact, they were very happy to be baptized to the relief of the Priest.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Maria wrote:

I once spoke with an Orthodox Priest who mentioned the difficulties that he was having while trying to baptize a two year old.

Well, you know how stubborn a two year old child can be! Almost as difficult as having to wash a domesticated cat!

When it came time for the baptism, the child would have nothing to do with it. Try as the Priest could to immerse the child, he first clung onto the godparent, and then he grabbed the priest's robe for dear life and would not let go. After spending about 15 minutes soothing and calming a frightened child and with a banquet already being cooked in the parish hall, the Priest had the godparents lean the child's head over the water, and the the Priest poured copious amounts of water over the screaming child's head. To this day, that child hates that Priest!

Probably, in that kind of a situation, with a stubborn two year old, it might have been better to do a rehearsal to see how things would work. After all, a couple getting married has a rehearsal.

Prior to the baptism of my two grandchildren, the relatives practiced with the children to help them not be afraid of the water. In fact, they were very happy to be baptized to the relief of the Priest.

Interesting. I wonder if that child had a negative feeling about bath time. I also wonder why the parents waited two years. There would be no difficulties if the child was baptized by two months. Just the same, it's no excuse for pouring.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I wonder why people wait so long to baptise? Perhaps they are recent converts or had been nominally orthodox and were just negligent and had a renewal or awakening of their faith so that they decided to baptise, though somewhat later than they ought to have done.