How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray it?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray it?

Post by Maria »

When a person is not able to attend the Divine Liturgy on Sundays or Feast Days due to sickness, work schedule, or inability to travel, it is a great comfort to pray the Typica.

How many of the posters here at E Cafe have prayed the Typica, know what it is, or how to pray or chant the Typica?

I would have liked to start a poll, but apparently we do not have that option here. Please share your experience.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray i

Post by jgress »

When I've done this, I use Fr John Whiteford's rubrics:

http://saintjonah.org/services/

I'm not sure of good online resources if you want to say Typica with the Byzantine use, though Fr John does include some of the Byzantine variants in his rubrics.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

If one is looking for something simple - ie just open and read - http://rocorrefugeesreadmore.blogspot.c ... ypica.html They have the hours, kontakia, troparia, Alleluia, prokeimena, any special hymns etc all set to go. So, if you don't have access to a lot of liturgical texts or simply don't really understand how to insert the proper movable portions, this is a very nice link to keep handy.

Also, if one were to want to do a readers vespers or matins, the following link provides some general guidelines. http://metropolitancantorinstitute.org/ ... erServices While it is a Uniate site, I did not notice anything that should be of any real concern. Just remember, there is more than one way to go about any given service. So, please don't let the "rules" get in the way of actually praying. Just use it as a general guide for structure. Especially since, I assume, these services would all be done at home. Pray!

-Dcn Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh yes, Fr Deacon Antonios has been helping me with the Typica.
I am grateful !

[Yes that is a good observation that we don't have ability to make a poll on different questions of interest.
Maybe some day that feature could be added here, if it's not too
difficult to make available. On the other hand, I remember seeing a long time ago
Monomakhos has a thousand and one polls, so the concept can be overdone, too !]

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

The Typica are part of the cycle of services during Great Lent according to the rubrics of the Russian Church, so we read them on the weekdays throughout Great Lent, and on anyday when we do not have a liturgy celebrated here at the monastery outside of Great Lent. We have 4 parishes connected to the monastery right now, and three of them assemble to read the Typica on the Sundays when a priest isn't there to serve a Liturgy. The 4th parish assembles from time to time. We also have several parishioners who know the rurics well and read the Typica regularly.

Alexander Kuzmin

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

I know how to do Typica but I do not need to do it because I have a parish to go to.
But those our parishes that do not have a priest, they do Typica and receive Communion from the reserve Holy Gifts, which the nearest priest provides them. This is a common Catacomb tradition.

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Alexander Kuzmin wrote:

I know how to do Typica but I do not need to do it because I have a parish to go to.
But those our parishes that do not have a priest, they do Typica and receive Communion from the reserve Holy Gifts, which the nearest priest provides them. This is a common Catacomb tradition.

Yes, this is a very ancient tradition.

However, in the USA, we do not follow that practice. Perhaps soon we might if the persecution of religion becomes more obvious like it was under communism.

Have any of the faithful who have the reserved Lamb in their homes ever been attacked by MP police?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.