How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray it?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Dcn.Ephrem
Jurisdiction: ROAC

How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray it?

Post by Dcn.Ephrem »

maximus wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Your parish must be Fr Mark Templet's ?

Yes, my parish is Fr. Mark's in Louisiana. It's about a 9-10 hour drive.

I heard that the deacon at that parish is literally insane.

Fr. Deacon Ephrem Cummings
Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC)

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray i

Post by jgress »

Dcn.Ephrem wrote:
maximus wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Just to be clear, you yourself are the deacon at that parish, correct? :)

maximus
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by maximus »

Dcn.Ephrem wrote:
maximus wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Hello Fr. Ephrem. I hope that you are not literally insane. :D It is good to hear from you.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

jgress wrote:

I know what a lot of True Orthodox do is attend a local World Orthodox parish, without receiving communion, only traveling to a True Orthodox church when they can afford to. It's a compromise, for sure, but I think a lot of spiritual fathers recognize people's need for being actually present at church.

Praying with heretics, or in temples owned by the heretics is forbidden and penanced by excomunication. There is a story where Saint John of Shangai told someone that had only attended coptic liturgies and services (without praying) that he should confess this. People should equip themselves with liturgical texts and stop being so lazy. In some Russian books, for confession, in the list of sins to be asked to the penitent was: "Have you attended services done by heretics?" People expect everything to be done for them by the priest, the choir, the deacon etc. There are excellent free liturgical materials on the web with already good guides on the typikon, some being free.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

jgress wrote:

I know what a lot of True Orthodox do is attend a local World Orthodox parish, without receiving communion, only traveling to a True Orthodox church when they can afford to. It's a compromise, for sure, but I think a lot of spiritual fathers recognize people's need for being actually present at church. However, if you are able to get other True Orthodox together for a reader's service, that ought to provide the kind of community that is essential for keeping the faith.

I am no Bishop (who would be the one who'd have to authorize that) but I literally know virtually no True Orthodox who do that first idea, who don't eventually become World Orthodox. This includes my own sorry past. Stick with typica. If you make communion every few months and say typica regularly such requirements are fulfilled.

From a practical standpoint, there is an additional psychological issue which occurs doing that: most World Orthodox parishes in the US are New Calendar. It has a spiritual psychological effect when you listen to the man in the front saying "get ready for Dormition, et cetera", on the wrong day, pamphlets with the wrong day, et cetera.

We should never make our Orthodoxy something convenient, but if we are so weak, the typica is there. Plainchanted without tones (if one is too weak to make such note) it takes approximately 30 minutes to read if the hours are not included, which they should be. As rude a suggestion it is to plainchant without tones and skip the hours, it's a better option than going to a WO parish to effectively have a bunch of people do the exact same thing. Having a good number of icons is useful, because then it reminds you that you are never alone in the truth.

If you find other True Orthodox (asking around is a good idea) then you can work on building with that. If you don't, be the one to start!

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Attending world orthodox assemblies also has some collateral effects. By your presence, you seem to legitimate their false church; world orthodox people will believe you acknowledge their church since you come and receive the blessings from their priests ("Peace to all"), since you pray with them... It is as if you went to a service made by uniats.

The only acceptable solution is praying at home: typika is a way but I do prefer reader's services with vespers and matins. Vespers is as most 30 minutes and daily matins generally one hour. Complines might be fine inserting the canons of the matins of the day after if matins are impossible.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Praying daily matins and vespers is certainly commendable but I've never heard of that being required as a rule for ordinary laymen. What we're talking about is saying Sunday services at home, which I think for laymen includes at the minimum 3rd and 6th hours and typica. You can say vespers the night before and matins before typica, but I don't think that's an absolute requirement. I personally use the Sunday services kindly provided by the GOC Portland diocese on their website.

And yes, on the internet it's easy to be rigid and condemn others' laziness, but before judging others it's important also to be aware that different people experience different temptations. For example, relying on oneself to say typica at the appropriate time may not be a good idea for someone inclined to laziness on Sunday mornings, while making an effort to get up early and travel to a church is what they need. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it's an example of the kind of factors some spiritual fathers have to consider.

The other temptation, of abandoning True Orthodoxy, is of course also very real and shouldn't be ignored. I'm sorry you fell into that temptation, Deacon Joseph! I also like your idea of having lots of icons and developing a church atmosphere at home; that will certainly help. Also, besides finding other True Orthodox in your area, try to stay in regular contact with your spiritual father and the other members of your parish. It can certainly be done.