How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray it?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: How many people know what the Typica is or how to pray i

Post by jgress »

Jean-Serge wrote:
jgress wrote:

Jean-Serge seems to be saying that if your bishop gives you permission to attend a non-True Orthodox service you still shouldn't go, which I find doubtful.

In such case, I would say your bishop is doubtful.

Sheesh, when are they going to make you a bishop already? ;)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

I have higher ambitions, Pope of Rome!

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

Jean-Serge wrote:

I have higher ambitions, Pope of Rome!

Orthodox Pope of Rome? Hrm, that could take quite a while. First we need a West European Synod that doesn't collapse every 20 minutes. Then we need candidates educated in Western and Eastern usages. And finally we need to find such a qualified individual who doesn't want it, because folks who do always mess it all up

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

maximus
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by maximus »

“How then does Paul say, ‘Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves’? (Heb. 13:17) After having said before, ‘Whose faith follow, considering the end of their life’ (Heb. 13:7), he then said, ‘Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves’. What then (you say), when he is wicked, should we obey? Wicked? In what sense? If indeed in regard to matters of the Faith, flee and avoid him; not only if he be a man, but even if he be an angel come down from Heaven; but if in regard to his life, be not overly-curious.” - St. John Chrysostom

“As for all those who pretend to confess sound Orthodox Faith, but are in communion with people who hold a different opinion, if they are forewarned and still remain stubborn, you must not only not be in communion with them, but you must not even call them brothers.” - St. Basil the Great

If my bishop gave me permission to attend the services of World Orthodoxy, I would be very concerned. If I were to learn he were a drunk or a thief, I'd still be more concerned about him "blessing" me to attend a World Orthodox service. I am one who lives far from my parish. In San Antonio, there are many WO Churches around, one is even about 10 minutes away. Convenience would dictate that I could go. But we know the Canons. We are blessed to live in a time where we, as laypeople, have access to them. We can read and run from those who would lead us astray.

"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Matthew 24: 10-13

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Suaidan
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

maximus wrote:

“How then does Paul say, ‘Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves’? (Heb. 13:17) After having said before, ‘Whose faith follow, considering the end of their life’ (Heb. 13:7), he then said, ‘Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves’. What then (you say), when he is wicked, should we obey? Wicked? In what sense? If indeed in regard to matters of the Faith, flee and avoid him; not only if he be a man, but even if he be an angel come down from Heaven; but if in regard to his life, be not overly-curious.” - St. John Chrysostom

“As for all those who pretend to confess sound Orthodox Faith, but are in communion with people who hold a different opinion, if they are forewarned and still remain stubborn, you must not only not be in communion with them, but you must not even call them brothers.” - St. Basil the Great

If my bishop gave me permission to attend the services of World Orthodoxy, I would be very concerned. If I were to learn he were a drunk or a thief, I'd still be more concerned about him "blessing" me to attend a World Orthodox service. I am one who lives far from my parish. In San Antonio, there are many WO Churches around, one is even about 10 minutes away. Convenience would dictate that I could go. But we know the Canons. We are blessed to live in a time where we, as laypeople, have access to them. We can read and run from those who would lead us astray.

"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Matthew 24: 10-13

I AM A DRUNK THIEF.

Now do your typica because I am coming for your house

burp

(drunk)

(thief)

burp

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

maximus
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by maximus »

I don't understand your response.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Probably a joke...

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.