Name-Glorifying's Encroachment into Russian Orthodoxy

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

Name-Glorifying's Encroachment into Russian Orthodoxy

Post by Barbara »

By the way, is there a large contingent of Name Worshippers in MP-Rocor, have you heard ?
Where are they, I wonder ? In parishes, or monasteries ?

MOD NOTE: This thread has been unlocked and moved into World Orthodoxy. Posts in this thread may not promote Name-Glorifying

Last edited by Maria on Thu 29 May 2014 6:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alexander Kuzmin

Name-Glorifying in Russian Church

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

By the way, is there a large contingent of Name Worshippers in MP-Rocor, have you heard ?

Dear Barbara, to be honest, I do not know anybody in modern Russia who is against Name-Glorifying, neither in ROCOR-MP nor in MP nor in True Orthodoxy. I have not heard of a person who lives in Russia and is against it (and I can list two dozens of people from different groups in Russia who defend Name-Glorifying).

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Who is Euthymius Valdez?

Post by jgress »

Alexander Kuzmin wrote:

> By the way, is there a large contingent of Name Worshippers in MP-Rocor, have you heard ?

Dear Barbara, to be honest, I do not know anybody in modern Russia who is against Name-Glorifying, neither in ROCOR-MP nor in MP nor in True Orthodoxy. I have not heard of a person who lives in Russia and is against it (and I can list two dozens of people from different groups in Russia who defend Name-Glorifying).

Didn't your Bishop Gregory separate from ROAC over that issue? That would mean ROAC is against name-worshiping, and also RTOC. But you are right that name-worshiping seems to be accepted in the MP and ROCOR, at least going by the statements of Met Hilarion (Alfeyev). However, Met Hilarion also believes that the Catholics and Trinitarian Protestants are in the Church because they have "valid" baptism, so he isn't really a great theological authority to rely on.

Alexander Kuzmin

Re:

jgress wrote:

Didn't your Bishop Gregory separate from ROAC over that issue?

No, the story was different and if you want we can discuss it in another branch.
The only official statement of ROAC on Name-Glorifying was that this question is to be considered by All-Russian Church Sobor, because this question was scheduled for the All-Russian Sobor in 1917-1918, but the revolution did not allow to consider it.

There were three bishops in ROAC that spoke against Imyaslavie (for different reasons), but all three of them are dead now. The current Russian bishops of ROAC will NEVER decide anything against imyaslavie, believe me. Besides some people who are known as strong supporters of Name-Glorifying receive communion in Suzdal or in Moscow. This is true for example concerning Alexander Soldatov.

As for RTOC, they have never stated anything against Name-Glorifying either. For example their priest Father Ilia is known as a supporter of it. I also know other such people in RTOC.

So, I have listed some names, and do you know anybody in True Orthodoxy in Russia who writes against Name-Glorifying? I was looking for them especially by the influence of one person from this forum, but I have not found any of them.

denis_
Faith: +
Jurisdiction: Εκκλησια Γ.Ο.Χ. Ελλαδος και Εξωτερικου

Re: Name-Glorifying in Russian Church

Post by denis_ »

Alexander Kuzmin wrote:

I do not know anybody in modern Russia who is against Name-Glorifying

There are a few persons, who are against some Name-Glorifiers (not against Name-Glorifying). For example: kiprian-sh.livejournal.com and iasidnev.livejournal.com. Futhermore, they consider that dogmatic formulations of Name-Glorifying are not entirely clear and entail some additional questions. That's all.

Alexander Kuzmin

The first man (Kyprian) is in Moscow Patriarchate and he struggles not only against Name-Glorifiers, but mostly against TOC. I even think that if there were Name-Fighters (Onomatoclasts) in Russian True Orthodoxy, he would defend Name-Glorifying. :) :)

As for the second one, he lives not in Russia, but in Greece. And he is in a very strange group of Met Kirikos (one branch of Matthewites), that has one bishop in Ukraine but no priests at all neither in Russia nor in Ukraine. I do not know why do they need a bishop without priests. :)

Dcn.Ephrem
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by Dcn.Ephrem »

I am sort of confused. In the past this forum has not tolerated the promotion of Name-Worshiping, which, Mr. Kuzmin's comments notwithstanding, has been condemned as heretical by Greeks and Russians. Why are we allowing this now?

I also do not understand how a discussion of Gregory Lourie's group can be considered "Intra-TOC."

Fr. Deacon Ephrem Cummings
Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC)