Rabbinical Judaism: Corruption of the Law of Moses?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Seraphim Reeves

Rabbinical Judaism: Corruption of the Law of Moses?

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

I recently found an article on the Orthodox website Pravoslavie.ru ( http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/ ) at the following address - http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/barker.htm

The article is by Margaret Barker, who has written a most interesting book, The Great Angel, A Study of Israel's Second God. The basic ideas put forward in that book are reflected in this article, which primarily deals with the issue of the corruption of the Hebrew Old Testament.

While Ms.Barker is certainly not an Orthodox Christian (and in many cases her views are contrary to Orthodox Christianity), she raises some really important issues pertaining to the history of the Old Testament texts, and just what "Israelitic Orthodoxy" in fact was.

In short, she views what we now know as "rabbinic Judaism" to have little in common with the ancient Israelitic religion, in particular the royal-Davidic cult of the First Temple period. Indeed, Rabbinic Judaism (in her view) was an innovation and opponent of this older Israelitic cult, which she believes survived only in remnant form by the time of Christ's advent (one well known example being the Qumran communities.) It is her conclusion that the first Christians viewed themselves as being the inheritors of this legitimate Israelitic legacy, and that a great deal of what they wrote is only understandable when keeping this in mind.

Many of her more "ground breaking" conclusions will not be too much of a shock to Orthodox ears. The following, which appear in the article I linked to, immediately come to mind...

• that the older Israelitic view, reflected in the Septuagint and very conspicuously in the Qumran texts, is that YHWH is a second, if united person, not to be confounded with El Elyon (God Most High; He Who Orthodox Christians call "God the Father"). Thus the first Christians understood YHWH to have incarnated as Jesus of Nazareth, and that the theophanies of the Old Testament Prophets were in fact visions of the pre-Incarnate Christ. This is not a surprising thing really, as it's made clear in the first epistle to the Corinthians and other places - but this is something not made quite as clear in the latter western tradition, particularly when it started to insist upon created grace and had un-Orthodox views about just what it was the Prophets were seeing when they had their visions.

• The assumption that the Masoretic text is to be deemed superior in it's renderings and accuracy than the Septuagint and other older Old Testament versions is entirely unwarranted, and in fact, is dead wrong. The Orthdox Church has always insisted upon the Septuagint, and ignored higher critics who preferred the Masoretic texts. Unfortunately in the west, beginning with St.Jerome, a preference developed for the Masoretic and proto-Masoretic texts of the Jews (something which St.Augustine in fact objected to, and became the source of arguments in the heated letters these two western Fathers exchanged.)

• It doesn't take much of a stretch to see the continuity between the actualy ancient Israelitic religion and early Christianity. While the modern west has been quite apologetic in it's scriptural interpretation, feeling rather comprimised and almost embarassed by claims that the Church is a direct continuation of the Israel of old, the Orthodox Church has been down right "antiquarian" and "unenlightened" it's simplicity on this subject; as far as the Fathers and our liturgy has always been concerned, it was Christ and even the Blessed Virgin which the Old Testament Prophets beheld in their experiences of revelation, as well as other mysteries on made explicit later on with the coming of Christ.

One interesting point dealt with in the article, regards the Holy Eucharist and it's connection with pre-second Temple Yom Kippur ("Day of Atonement") ritual. There is evidence (cited in the article) that while blood drinking was normally prohibited in the Jewish cult, that the consumption of blood by the High Priest was a part of the ancient ceremonies of Yom Kippur; thus the claim by modern Judaist apologists (and sadly some Christians, typically fundamentalst Protestants) that the sacrament of the Eucharist (where Christ's body and blood are really and truly received by the communicant) is a totally "non, even anti-Jewish" thing, totally beyond the pale of the Old Testament faith, is nonsense.

Of course there are some conclusions in the article which no Orthodox believer should accept - and not simply on the basis of faith (which is sufficient), but because the conclusions are not (imho) warranted. For example, the claim appears in the article that the origins of Christian Gnosticism are found in a strain of this Old Testament religion surviving; however everything we actually know about early gnosticism, in principle, runs contrary to some of the more startling conclusions Ms.Barker makes about the ancient Hebrew cult (for example, the role of ressurection, heaven and hell, and in particular sacrifice and atonement, play no role in Christian gnosticism, and are contrary to it's most basic principles.) I also believe her conclusions about Holy Wisdom are not correct; they are I believe, the unfortunate result of this author (while be astute and well learned) being outside of the Orthodox tradition, and not yet familiar enough with the Church's teachings on this subject (and the pre-Christian theophanies in which the Theotokos played a part in; for example, note traditiona ikons of the "burning bush" and Moses.)

That said, the article is certainly a good read, and what it has to say is quite important (the same can be said of Ms.Barker's book, which I recommend.) However neither should be read with uncritical eyes.

Seraphim

Logos

Post by Logos »

Does the book say anything about the 'Jewish Roots' movement of
Christianity and the Messianic Jews?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and bring it to the top, so maybe those who haven't read it can/will read it. With all that's been going on I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the article linked to, but I'd definately like to talk about this stuff, if others are interested. This kind of subject always fascinates me.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Justin asked me to bump this :)

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Yes I did :)

I had meant to post something on this thread quite a while ago, but I guess I forgot about it. So, when Mary saw it earlier as she was scanning through older threads, I asked her to bump it up :) Will return probably tomorrow and post again...

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

In short, she views what we now know as "rabbinic Judaism" to have little in common with the ancient Israelitic religion, in particular the royal-Davidic cult of the First Temple period.

This is right on. What's really strange is how Christians today can be so sympathetic to rabbinic Judaism, while being so hostile to Orthodox Christianity. As one Catholic friend eloquently put it:

I am often puzzled by those who "ooh and ah" over Judaism or Islam, saying things like, "The Jews'/Muslims' religion is such a beautiful one, so ancient! I love the ritual and their sense of heritage and peoplehood!" -- while in the next breath knocking Catholicism as though it were a bundle of silly rituals. I recently saw a rabbi being interviewed on TBN (an American Christian television broadcasting company) by a Protestant who was just enthralled, enchanted, as he was told about how Judaism sees certain places and things as consecrated and holy. While he apparently delighted at hearing the rabbi talk about Old Testament sacramentalism, I can bet you $10 that same man would laugh, at least inwardly, at a Catholic talking about the same thing. - Source

Well, obviously we'd put "Orthodox" in for Catholic, but the thought still holds. Considering some of the stuff that is in books like the Talmud about our Lord and Savior, and some of the rumors spread early on by the false forms (sects) of Judaism, I have to wonder how Christians can praise them (it certainly helps us understand why some Fathers so strongly spoke out against Judaism; and that they spoke out against the Jewish culture for that matter, which was--and still to a large extent is--intimately connected with the Jewish religion)

It is her conclusion that the first Christians viewed themselves as being the inheritors of this legitimate Israelitic legacy, and that a great deal of what they wrote is only understandable when keeping this in mind.

Yeah, if you read the early Fathers, like Saint Luke (Acts) Saint Paul, and Justin Martyr, it's obvious that the early Christians considered themselves God's people, whether it was called "the way," "the church," the "chosen sojourners," "the elect," "children of Abraham," "Jew," (not as a racial distinction), or whatever else. The point was, the law giver himself had come down to earth, so that we could be raised up to heaven. The God who once used his hand to guide Israel now condescended to be the literal, mystical though real, "head" of the "body" (whether called Israel, Church, etc). This is especially apparent in statements like those of Justin Martyr, where he says essentially "the OT scriptures are the possession of the Christians, not the non-believing Jews". (Dialogue with Trypho, 29, 2)

- The assumption that the Masoretic text is to be deemed superior in it's renderings and accuracy than the Septuagint and other older Old Testament versions is entirely unwarranted, and in fact, is dead wrong. The Orthdox Church has always insisted upon the Septuagint, and ignored higher critics who preferred the Masoretic texts. Unfortunately in the west, beginning with St.Jerome, a preference developed for the Masoretic and proto-Masoretic texts of the Jews (something which St.Augustine in fact objected to, and became the source of arguments in the heated letters these two western Fathers exchanged.)

I honestly think that the Protestant errors in this area are ecclesiological in nature. Having left the Church, they have no assurance other than their own reason: so they can't, like Orthodox Christians, trust that the theanthropic body of Christ "got it right," even if there seemed to be some disagreement among individual Fathers. They have to try and piece together what happened, and come up with theories to explain why they believe what they believe, and why their opponents have to be wrong.

So how do they deal with the Church Fathers use of the Septuagint? They see it as a historical accident. "The Fathers were ignorant of Hebrew, and therefore had to use the Greek" runs the standard argument. There is no trust in Christ's guidance, it was all just muddled for them for a very long time. I don't think they see the incredible nature of their claim though: that the Bible is the earthly center and foundation of Christianity, but yet God let things slip for over a thousand years.

Now, for a protestant, I guess this is an acceptable claim, because they don't have the type of ecclesiology that Orthodox Christians have. For us, this could never happen because Christ is our consant help, the Holy Spirit is our constant help, not in some abstract way, but in a real, practical, seeable way. We ARE cells in the body, Christ IS the head. In ancient Israel, there were numerous times when they lost track of their heritage and faith, but the Church is different: with the incarnation, life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus this changed, and the Church became not a divinely led institution (which was allowed to fall away, with only a small remnant, e.g., 7,000, keeping the truth intact), but now Israel has been transformed, and is an actual divine-human organism.

Just some thoughts :)

Justin

PS. Just a note so that there is no confusion. I do not support attacking any person, and this means I would certainly not support attacking entire groups of people based on things like race or culture. Though some people might see language that I use as an attack on a culture or race, it is not meant in that way. It is the beliefs and practices that I have a problem with, and I want to help and save the person from their error, not hate them and exclude them from fellowship.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Great topic. Thanks to all for the info.

Denis