Avoiding Dissipation, Drunkedness, Gluttony, and Lust

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Avoiding Dissipation, Drunkedness, Gluttony, and Lust

Post by Maria »

My husband and I came across the following homily from Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies,
trans. Christopher Veniamin, Mt. Tabor Publishing, 2009, p. 332.

• 16. As for us, brethren, let us take off the garment torn to shreds by drunkenness and filling our stomach, and stained by the flesh and its excesses, and let us clothe ourselves, as Isaiah says, "with the garment of salvation and the robe of joy" (Isa. 61:10 Lxx) through self-control and chastity. Let us lay aside the old man, "which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts" (Eph. 4:22), and put on the new man, which after God is created in holiness and righteousness (cf. Eph. 4:24). Let us take off our life's complex covering of rapacity and greed, since it is ugly in God's sight and condemned, and let us put on, as the elect of God, compassion, humility, modesty and meekness (cf. Col. 3:12). And let us strive in all ways, according to the apostle's exhortation, to make our calling and election sure (cf. 2 Pet. 1:10). By so doing, we shall not fail to attain to the promise of good things to come, and the company of those who rejoice eternally.

Dissipation easily leads to sin as it puts aside sobriety and watchfulness.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.