St Glicherie, True Orthodox Martyr and Confessor, June 15/28

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

St Glicherie, True Orthodox Martyr and Confessor, June 15/28

Post by Maria »

http://hotca.org/pdf/stglicherie.pdf

St. Glicherie of Romania died on Friday, June 15/28, 1985 and was glorified on June 15/28, 1999.

He suffered many beatings, tortures, and imprisonments for True Orthodoxy.

Caution: the book linked above is best read during the day, not at night before retiring.
I do not recommend that this book be read by or to children. It is adult fare.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: St Glicherie, True Orthodox Martyr and Confessor, June 1

Post by jgress »

I wouldn't call him a "martyr" since that title should only be given to those who are killed for the faith. St Glicherie was tortured, but died a natural death.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

I wouldn't call him a "martyr" since that title should only be given to those who are killed for the faith. St Glicherie was tortured, but died a natural death.

He died from wounds sustained during the time he was being tortured for the faith.

He never received proper medical care for the leg injury sustained when policemen dragged him under a fence during a brutal arrest. This injury left him in continual pain and in a weakened condition until the day he died.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress

Post by jgress »

Maria wrote:
jgress wrote:

He died from wounds sustained during the time he was being tortured for the faith.

He never received proper medical care for the leg injury sustained when policemen dragged him under a fence during a brutal arrest. This injury left him in continual pain and in a weakened condition until the day he died.

I'm not sure we should be promoting him as a Martyr if that is not how he was glorified. Suffering pain for the faith makes one a confessor; suffering death makes one a martyr. I believe St Maximus the Confessor also suffered terrible wounds and it's likely they were a factor in his early death, but we can't say that they caused it directly.

Aside from that, though, thank you for the link to his Life.

jgress

Post by jgress »

jgress wrote:
Maria wrote:
jgress wrote:

I'm not sure we should be promoting him as a Martyr if that is not how he was glorified. Suffering pain for the faith makes one a confessor; suffering death makes one a martyr. I believe St Maximus the Confessor also suffered terrible wounds and it's likely they were a factor in his early death, but we can't say that they caused it directly.

Aside from that, though, thank you for the link to his Life.

Forgive me, but I see in the main text of his life it is explained that he was glorified as both confessor and martyr. In that case I retract what I said!