Conversion 101

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kolodziej
Faith: Want to confess the True Faith without compromise
Jurisdiction: Need to be received by the Church

Conversion 101

Post by Justin Kolodziej »

I gave the nearest GOC-K priest some background and ask for some advice on what to do first, but I have yet to hear back from him. While I'm waiting for the GOC-K priest to respond, what would you who have been there suggest I start doing? Prayers? Readings? Fasting?? (that one will be quite tough I can tell :lol: )

Currently I try to read the Epistles and Gospels for the day and I just discovered the Prologue of Ochrid, which is what I wish Butler's Lives of the Saints was. But my prayers are short, ad-hoc, and probably not really Orthodox.

Wherever even the last two or three are gathered together in His name, there He is in their midst.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Conversion 101

Post by Maria »

Justin Kolodziej wrote:

I gave the nearest GOC-K priest some background and ask for some advice on what to do first, but I have yet to hear back from him. While I'm waiting for the GOC-K priest to respond, what would you who have been there suggest I start doing? Prayers? Readings? Fasting?? (that one will be quite tough I can tell :lol: )

Currently I try to read the Epistles and Gospels for the day and I just discovered the Prologue of Ochrid, which is what I wish Butler's Lives of the Saints was. But my prayers are short, ad-hoc, and probably not really Orthodox.

Perhaps you can ask that nearest GOC-K priest what he would recommend as a prayerbook.

In the meantime, there is an online prayerbook: http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english ... k/main.htm

Do you think you can visit that parish this coming Sunday?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justin Kolodziej
Faith: Want to confess the True Faith without compromise
Jurisdiction: Need to be received by the Church

Re: Conversion 101

Post by Justin Kolodziej »

Maria wrote:
Justin Kolodziej wrote:

Perhaps you can ask that nearest GOC-K priest what he would recommend as a prayerbook.

In the meantime, there is an online prayerbook: http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english ... k/main.htm

Do you think you can visit that parish this coming Sunday?

Couldn't do it. That parish is 3 hours 45 minutes away plus stops. The nearest parish of any type only has a priest visit every couple of months and is 2 hours away. there is a couple near here who are true Orthodox but I don't have their info.

Thanks for the prayerbook link.

Wherever even the last two or three are gathered together in His name, there He is in their midst.