Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Post by Barbara »

I guess I missed this one, too. I fail to see a jellyfish of any type, flying, amphibious or terrestrial - !

To me, the picture looks like the lights of a Boeing jumbo jet making its descent to land. Not that that is any more useful imagery....
[ I said Boeing because it has always the world's best aircraft manufacturer in my opinion. ]

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I guess I missed this one, too. I fail to see a jellyfish of any type, flying, amphibious or terrestrial - !

To me, the picture looks like the lights of a Boeing jumbo jet making its descent to land. Not that that is any more useful imagery....
[ I said Boeing because it has always the world's best aircraft manufacturer in my opinion. ]

I edited my prior post. I forgot to add: Scroll down ....

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

"The clouds were absolutely stunning," says Patro. "It was really surprising and a new experience for all of us."

Atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley says "Bharati Station at 70 degrees south is just the place to get these wonderful filmy Polar Stratospheric Clouds (PSCs). Floating 9 to 16 miles high, they need stunningly-cold temperatures below -85 Celsius to form."

"More familiar tropospheric clouds can also shine with iridescent colours," he says, "but never as vividly or memorably as PSCs.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2016

polar stratospheric clouds over antarctica_06-17-2016_strip.png
polar stratospheric clouds over antarctica_06-17-2016_strip.png (204.73 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Stunning photograph taken in Sweden on June 15, 2016 of an ice halo.

"This 22° halo appeared yesterday here in Kiruna," says photographer Mia Stålnacke. "It was beautiful!"

Ice in the clouds can bend sunlight in many interesting ways, forming luminous rings, arcs, and pillars. Collectively these are known as "ice halos." They may be seen around the world during all four seasons--even summer--because it is always freezing miles overhead. Look for them whenever the sun is up and the blue sky is criss-crossed by icy cirrus clouds.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks Maria. That is helpful, for one does become a tiny bit confused with the gap that was formerly present.
Appreciate your diligence in making everything perfect here on E.Cafe !

The newest pics are marvelous, too. Thanks for all these pretty scenes. They lift the viewer out of their everyday world and into a different sphere.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is another one of those summer upside down rainbows taken by David Blanchard on June 23, 2016 from Flagstaff, Arizona.

Blanchard witnessed a circumhorizon arc--a rainbow-colored band of light caused by the sun shining through plate-shaped ice crystals floating in cirrus clouds. Actual rainbows, on the other hand, are caused by sunlight reflected from raindrops.

Summer is the season for circumhorizontal arcs because they appear only when the sun is high in the sky--more than 58o above the horizon. The arc's enormous size and pure spectral colors make it one of the most beautiful of all ice halos.

At medium latitudes, like much of the USA, the arc is not rare.Typically, it can be seen several times each summer. In contrast, further north in much of Europe the circumhorizon arc is a rarity and impossible to see north of Copenhagen. See the charts in Les Cowley's web page 'How rare?' for the visibility at your location.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This is one of the most amazing displays of Noctilucent clouds I have ever seen.

see more at www.spaceweather.com

Whereas NASA is claiming that these noctilucent clouds arise from meterorite dust, I am wondering if it also is increasing rapidly due to all the rocket fuel and all the rockets bursting in air (from international space exploration missions, spy satellites, and star wars).

Unbelievably NASA scientists now claim that these clouds are an indication of climate change! How incredible is that? That is just plain idiotic. We were not born yesterday.