A request for prayers

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Seraphim Reeves

A request for prayers

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

As some of you may or may not know, I am in fact not yet an "Orthodox Christian" (in so far as my status goes). While my heart is totally with the Orthodox Church, I am still a sojourner, knocking at the door of the House of God. In large part, this situation is due to reasons totally beyond my control (in particular, living in a city far from a ROCOR Church, which is where I have my heart set on being received into Orthodoxy, and not having adequate means to get there on even a semi-regular basis). However, my decision was made some time ago, and I stand by it (doing what I can in the mean time.)

However, my immediate family is staunchly Roman Catholic; they are Latin traditionalists, what the typical mainstream RC would label a "Lefebvrist" (refering to the founder of the Priestly Society of St.Pius X, Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, who was excommunicated by the Vatican for not going along with the liberalizations ushered in by Vatican II.) Thus, from the mainstream RC p.o.v., my immediate family members are "schismatics". Of course, this means little to me, for as far as I'm concerened the western churches have been in "schism" for at least 900+ years.

This situation creates interesting problems. As far as my family is concerned, particularly my mother and my brother, I am doing something horrible and impious in wanting to be Orthodox. Oddly enough, I credit my one time association with the Latin traditionalists as the reason for my move; I learned to place truth, and principle, above slavish loyalty to a heirarch who is in fact heterodox in his teaching (which JP II certainly is, whether from a traditional RC view, and very much so from an Orthodox p.o.v.)

Now, that it is the "holiday season", my brother is visiting. This complicates things, because he is a seminarian with the "Lefebvrists" (the Priestly Society of St.Pius X...aka. "SSPX"), and he is quite set on returning me to the papist fold.

I am not afraid that my faith will falter. However, I ask the prayers of others here, that I may in some way help him see what it is I've seen, since thus far (as our conversations have made clear) we are speaking two totally different languages. I pray that he will absorb, somehow, something of that "mindset" which is essential to even seeing just what it is in Orthodoxy, that makes it the only serious "contender" in the "where is the apostolic church" 'game'. It is so obvious to me, yet I'm finding that I have a hard time expressing this to him.

Please prayer for us all, but particular for him. His first name is Andrew. He's a noble, and pure lad, but I'm afraid, also terribly wrong in his outlook on many key points. If he would only hear me out, I would have some peace.

Seraphim

Steve
Jr Member

You're in my prayers

Post by Steve »

Got you on my list and, by the way, anyone else here who requests prayer will go on my list. I'm not always sure what exactly I'm praying for but then, that doesn't matter, for God surely knows.
I'm in a similar situation and ask for your prayers. I am in the process right now of waiting for catechumen classes to start so I may attend them. This will be an exciting New Year for me and yet one of some anxiousness - my wife does not wish to join me in this venture (as of yet). The convincing stage with words is probably exhausted on my part - it's like Morpheus telling Neo of the Matrix, "Unfortunately, you cannot know what it is from me telling you, you have to see it for yourself." And so I have determined to myself that I will continually extend the invitation to join me and "stand before the mysteries and see".

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Both of you have been in my prayers and will continue to be there :) (I'm sure I speak for many of the people who've visited the thread but not posted)

Justin

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Seraphim: you are in my prayers. I know what you mean about the sspx. i was a member of the sspx for a short period of time and it was not easy leaving for me. not that i didnt want to leave, the priest made it very difficult, he actually condemned me to hell, saying that if i became Orthodox I would be going to hell in a handbasket basically. I also know how it feels to not have your family behind you. That's the hardest sometimes, especially if you live with them when you're a recent convert to Orthodoxy, or even a Catechumen in the Orthodox Church. I pray that you do find a way to get to a place where you can attend the ROCOR church as you wish you could.

Ole Rocker: I agree with you about God knowing what it is that others need when we are praying for them. It's always helpful I think, to know that there are others out there praying for you though. :) I'm sorry to hear that your wife doesn't want to join you in becoming Orthodox. Does she give any particular reasons for not wanting to go with you in becoming Orthodox? Is she any religion right now? Sometimes, the best way when words don't succeed in changing a person's mind to do something that they are against, is by constant prayers and by actions, also, don't give up on inviting her to Church with you. you and your wife shall be in my prayers as well. May I ask what your names are if you don't mind?

MaryCecilia

Steve
Jr Member

Thanks

Post by Steve »

Mary -

My name is Steve Price and hers is Tricia. I went through with it this past weekend and asked to be a catechumen and was accepted. However my wife is pitching a holy fit. We had a long discussion last night with many tears and she feels I am a fool (of which I am) and that I am jeapordizing our 23 year marriage and that I am selfish and that Orthodoxy is a sin and has no claims on any superiority or authority and she refuses to visit or talk to any priest or friends. She hasn't said it yet, but I'm waiting for her to say it's a cult in the sense of what a cult is understood to be in the West. She also asked me if I'm going to ask for a divorce next, and on and on. It's wearing me down between the accusations and the crying. Pray please.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

God Bless you!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Steve I am glad to hear that you are a catechumen! But I am also disheartened to hear about your wife's reaction. :-(I don't think I should say anything more on that, but rest assured you are in my prayers (you too Seraphim, Mary Cecilia, Justin & Everyone else) and welcome to the catechumenate!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Ole Rocker,

You will of course be in all our prayers :cry: