Poll Request: Should We Have a Forum on "Sharing the Faith?"

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Poll Request: Should We Have a Forum on "Sharing the Faith?"

Post by Matthew »

Maria and I were discussing the benefits of having a forum where we can share ideas or questions about how to share our faith with those outside of Orthodoxy, namely Roman Catholics, Protestants, Messianic Jews or goys in the Hebrew Roots Movement, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and also to have threads on who should share the faith, and when, and with what attitude, and with whom.

So please feel free to voice your feelings about this proposal.

Agios_Irineos

Re: Poll Request: Should We Have a Forum on "Sharing the Faith?"

Post by Agios_Irineos »

As Maria knows, I am a firm believer that the True Orthodox spend way too much time arguing over their own bona fides and almost no time evangelizing our fallen world. My vote is yes. I don't know how much participation there will be, but I see forums here with no activity for years. At least this would be a worthy and hopefully edifying topic. I would be much likely to read and participate in that forum than argue over whether Greek Bishop X is the only legitimate True Orthodox bishop on the planet or not.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, Fr Irineos, your points are perfect. Congratulations, by the way, on your elevation to Hieromonk. Great !

We have to realize that so many of the True Orthodox are rather introverts by nature. This is reflected in conversations centering on internal True Orthodox matters.

I think it's excellent to try to find new approaches to the heterodox which will actually work. Discussions could cover useful information, including how overtures to people in the outer world could improve based on various members' experiences.

I vote yes as well. I like the addition of ANY new forum at all. This key topic would be a good choice for the next new Forum.

How would that fit with the "Inquiring into Orthodoxy" forum ?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Inquiring into Orthodoxy is designed for inquirers and catechumen who have made a commitment to look into Orthodoxy. The stages of inquiry and catechumenate are where one learns to live the Faith.

Sharing the Faith most likely would include the subforums:

1. Sharing the Faith: Who should evangelize, How, When, Where, Why? What should we say? Is everyone called to share the faith? While it is important to know how to express our faith, our actions are more important than our words. St. Seraphim of Sarov remarked (in translation): Acquire the Holy Spirit and thousands of souls around you will be saved.

2. Preparations for sharing the faith : It is said that one cannot share the faith if one doesn't have it. Therefore, following a rule of prayer with unceasing prayer, sobriety, and fasting, participating in the life of the Church, and reading the the Holy Bible, the Holy Fathers and the lives of the saints are essential.

1. Sharing the Faith with Catholics (Latin-Rite and Eastern Catholics)

2. Sharing the Faith with Protestants

3. Sharing the Faith with pseudo-Christian cults: JW, Messianic Jews, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals

4. Sharing the Faith with Non-Christians and Cults: Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu, Hare Krishna devotees, and those into New Age, Scientology, UFO, Voodoo, Wicca, the Occult, Bahai, Freemasonry, Atheism, Agnosticism, etc.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

That's a lot of subforums for a forum that may not generate much participation. Would it be better to see where discussion goes before breaking it up into so many categories?

If you wanted subforums I would suggest:

General Discussion - Covering everything from preparation to particular issues or objections that one might face

Specific Audiences - Here topics could arise about issues involving specific audiences, be they protestant, Roman or cultic

Documents and Resources - Here we could link to original or existing materials or articles that might be helpful in sharing the faith.

Even if you decide to keep so many subforums, please have a specific subforum for Docs and Resources. It is nice to have those all in one place!

Fr. Irineos

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thank you for your input, Father.
Much to consider here.

We have a lot of documents already, so people can link to them. References are important.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

That's a lot of subforums for a forum that may not generate much participation. Would it be better to see where discussion goes before breaking it up into so many categories? If you wanted subforums I would suggest: General Discussion - Covering everything from preparation to particular issues or objections that one might face; Specific Audiences - Here topics could arise about issues involving specific audiences, be they protestant, Roman or cultic; Documents and Resources - Here we could link to original or existing materials or articles that might be helpful in sharing the faith. Even if you decide to keep so many subforums, please have a specific subforum for Docs and Resources. It is nice to have those all in one place! Fr. Irineos

Excellent recommendations, Father! Thank you.